Receiving error, "You must indicate the time spent working."

NathanG
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 30, 2015

Hi, when I'm closing/completing a JIRA issue I don't want to have to enter time tracking information.  But when I leave the "Time Spent" field blank when closing the issue, I receive this error:

You must indicate the time spent working.

How can I avoid this error?

Why am I asking this question?  Well... we have some end-users that are using JIRA Agile and following a scrum methodology.  They use story points to estimate their work and then they create many many subtasks to break their stories down into smaller chunks.

During their sprint, the burndown chart doesn't show the team's progress on all the subtasks... the team is finishing many subtasks but the burndown chart is flat (since it ignores subtasks, even when selecting "Issue Count" on the chart screen).

To get around this, I'm trying to automatically assign an Original Estimate of 1 hour when issues are created and then automatically set the remaining time to zero when the issue is closed.

The snag in this idea seems to be the above error... 

Thoughts?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 30, 2015

It's not mandatory to fill in a time log when closing an issue by default - you must have set something up to enforce that.  The most likely culprit is a validator on the workflow, and it sounds like you simply want to remove it.

Suggest an answer