Read only access to Jira Projects/Issues without a licensed user account

Gowtam Kamath December 1, 2021

Hi,

Is there a way to provide access to view Jira issues to people who do not have a licensed user account?

I have been asked by certain non - eng users in the company (stakeholders) for visibility into Jira issues. Each licensed user account costs money irrespective of ready only or all-access permission. Hence, I was looking for 'free-read only jira access' option.

Jira provides 'Anonymous' access to Jira Projects and issues but looks like any one on the internet can access it. Is that a right assumption?

Are there any other ways to give view access to employees without really paying for creating licensed accounts?

Thanks in advance,

Gowtam Kamath

4 answers

2 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

I've read of other suggestions where such a need was satisfied by interfacing Jira with another product (custom developed or third party) where the users could access the other product and that product would use the Jira REST API and a generic "service account" user to extract data from Jira for display in the other product.

Gowtam Kamath December 2, 2021

Thank you @Trudy Claspill 

This is a good idea. 

2 votes
Answer accepted
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 1, 2021

Hi Gowtam,

There is the concept of a free user having access to issues they create using JSM projects, but not Jira Software projects. And they would only have access to the cards they created. 

Other than that, they will need to be licensed users to see issues. 

Thank you @John Funk 

Like John Funk likes this
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 2, 2021

If this answered your question, can you click on the Accept answer button above so we can close it out? Thanks!

Rakesh Kambattula February 13, 2022

@John Funk HI John,

Can you please let me know about the concept of free user having access to issues.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 16, 2022

Hi @Rakesh Kambattula  - You can create customers in JSM which allow access to create issues and see those issues the user created. But those users cannot update anything. 

Like Rakesh Kambattula likes this
3 votes
Sarthak_Jain_miniOrange December 2, 2021

Hi @Gowtam Kamath

Yes, there is a way to provide access to any non-licensed users and set permissions like view, comment, etc to your Jira Tickets using the third-party add-ons which will run on top of Jira.
I understand your use case and I feel it’s perfectly logical to not consume license tier or purchase new licenses just for providing read-only access to your Jira issues for non-eng users.

Jira provides 'Anonymous' access to Jira Projects and issues but looks like any one on the internet can access it. Is that a right assumption? 

Yes, this is true. The downside of providing anonymous access to Jira projects and issues by the in-built feature is that anyone on the internet can access it. So we can’t just enable this option directly.

As I said, it’s possible to give view access to non-eng users without adding them to the user tier license cost. One such solution is mo Secure Share Issue that allows licensed users to create and share access links with anyone. You could also set permissions over the access link to allow non-licensed users to view/add comments and attachments. 

This solution is available for Server, Data Center and Cloud as well.

We’ve a demo ready for your use case, you could reach out to us to schedule a call for you. Or you could check out the video here.

Thanks,

Sarthak Jain

Thank you for the detailed respose @Sarthak_Jain_miniOrange . I checked the video. cool app :) 

Query : Does this plugin work at issue level only or does it support at bulk like all issues within a project?

ie Our Jira project has more than 1000 issues.  Creating a link for each issue may not solve our problem. Is there a way to give access to all issues within a Project or Permission scheme level?  

Sarthak_Jain_miniOrange December 2, 2021

Hi @Gowtam Kamath,

Glad to hear that you liked the app!

Currently, the plugin works at the issue-level only but the feature to share all issues in a project is in the pipeline. We could expedite it for you.

Please raise a ticket from here so that we could discuss and gather your requirements in detail. I’m really interested in all your inputs.

Looking forward to having a great conversation.

Thanks,
Sarthak Jain

Hi @Sarthak_Jain_miniOrange 

We have decided to go with atlassian licensed access .Thanks for all the details.

If you need any info from requirements PV, happy to share

Thanks,

Gowtam Kamath

0 votes
Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 17, 2023

Hi @Gowtam Kamath ,

If you don't mind using the app for this goal, I can suggest one. It takes you 1 minute to set up a customer portal for any Jira Cloud project and let your teammates, customers or any other stakeholders feed requests into it.

The app works as a 'Jira mirror' but with a simpler interface and cleaner overall experience.

It's definitely cheaper than having Jira licenses for each customer and no need to worry that external stakeholders will see some private information in your Jira. You can calculate the price on the marketplace for your Jira instance size. Marketplace apps are billed for the number of users in your Jira instance. I hope it helps you.

Saralie S.
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 22, 2023

@Irina_Bel_Stiltsoft_ Hello! Reposting, copy-paste content, mass upvoting, sock-puppeting, impersonating users, necroposting (raising a post from the dead) and any other unethical behavior.

This thread is two years old, please remove your comments on old threads and refrain from commenting in the future. 

Suggest an answer