Rapidboard and subtasks during release.

Michael Donat November 4, 2011

Hi there,

The new RapidBoard is a fantastic improvement over the previous TaskBoard view that we had available before.

I have one problem with configuration though. Below is a little bit of a background on how it works in my office followed by what I would love to do with it.

Issues are created as 3 different types, 2 containing Story Points: Story and Task, as well as Bugs for bug reporting.

There is also one subtask type used only by developers to better split technical tasks, this task is called Implementation (which is just a rename of stock Technical Task Subtask).

The workflows for issues are as follows:

Story,Task: To Do -> Complete -> Staged -> Confirmed

Bug: To Do -> In Progress -> Complete -> Staged -> Confirmed

Implementation (Subtask): To Do -> In Progress -> Complete

The reason why Implementation subtask are not going all the way right on the rapid board is simple. Project Manager responsible for coordinatiing UAT with client does not need to know about the underlying details of Story Implementation. He will only ever be concerned with issues that are in Staged phase and will later drag them to Confirmed.

Now here is my question

When using the Release funtionality to mark confirmed issues as deployed, the subtasks of these issues are not getting released as they are not in the rightmost column. I think under the Planning Board this was called Version Synchronizing where when Story was scheduled to a version the subtasks would be synchronized to the same version.

Is similar behaviour possible with Rapid Board? I really wan't to avoid a situation where PMs view would be obstructed by our implementation details and I would like him to fully concentrate on Stories, Tasks and Bugs.

JIRA version: v4.4.3#663-r165197

GH version : 5.8.2

2 answers

0 votes
Michael Donat November 7, 2011

Hi Nicholas,

This doesn't really solve the issue. PMs are clever enough (I hope so ;)) to know to only look at the 2 rightmost columns.

Implementing your workaround will not emulate what I'm trying to do, this will simply filter the dev tasks from PMs which isn't the case.

What I'm after is similar functionality to Sync Version on Planning Board but in Rapid View.

When a new version is released (rightmost column is put in a version) all subtasks of released tasks should have the same version assigned, even if they were not in the rightmost column.

I just don't want the devs to need to drag the tech tasks through Staged/Confirmed as they are not subject to acceptance criteria.

0 votes
Nicholas Muldoon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 7, 2011

Hello,

As the release function creates a version and assigns that version to the issues in the right hand side column I think the follow workaround may work best:

* Your existing Rapid View will have a saved filter (A)

* Create a new saved filter (B) using the following JQL : filter = A AND issuetype in (Story, Task, Bug)

* Create a Rapid View (C) from the Manage Rapid View screen (an advanced Rapid View) and use the filter above (B)

* Give Rapid View C to your Project Managers.

Does that workaround suit your needs?

Thanks,

Nicholas Muldoon

Suggest an answer