Next:
badges earned

Your Points Tracker
Challenges
Leaderboard
  • Global
  • Feed

Badge for your thoughts?

You're enrolled in our new beta rewards program. Join our group to get the inside scoop and share your feedback.

Join group
Recognition
Give the gift of kudos
You have 0 kudos available to give
Who do you want to recognize?
Why do you want to recognize them?
Kudos
Great job appreciating your peers!
Check back soon to give more kudos.

Past Kudos Given
No kudos given
You haven't given any kudos yet. Share the love above and you'll see it here.

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Ranking Epics on Kanban Board without Backlog Edited

We have a team that prefers to use a Kanban Board that does not have a Backlog (because they want the Baclog to appear as a column on the Board). That means it also does not have the Epics panel. They use swimlanes based on Epics. Is there any way to change the ranking of the Epics?

The only way I found to do that is to activate the Backlog by mapping some status to it on the Board's configuration, reorganize the Epics using the Epics panel, and then change the configuration back to not use a Backlog. 

I guess we could create a second Kanban Board just for this purpose, but surely there must be another way to do this?

Thanks,

Jozef 

1 answer

You could temporarily turn off the Epics Swimlanes so that the Epics appear as cards on the Kanban board. Then rerank them on the board, and then turn epics Swimlanes back on.

That's a neat trick, however, it does not work for us because the Epic has statuses that are not represented on the Board (they're different from the other issue types)

I can't think of any other ways to manipulate the ranking of Epics other than having them displayed in either a Board view or a Backlog view for an agile board.

I found this post on using the API or Automation for JIRA feature to manipulate issue ranks, but I don't think that necessarily addresses your question. Maybe it will give you some ideas.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Marketplace-Apps-Integrations/With-the-Automation-plugin-is-there-a-way-to-set-the-rank-of-an/qaq-p/1087874

Thanks Trudy. We just created a separate Board just for ranking Epics! 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
SERVER
VERSION
TAGS
Community showcase

The benefits of using Jira in different departments

Jira is a great tool to use across different departments. Forget that paperwork – switch to Jira and get that tasks done smoothly. Marketing Jira allows for a complete digital transformation of you...

132 views 0 8
Read article

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you