Random previously closed in Done state tickets are added when a new sprint is started

Cristian-Dumitru Uricec January 30, 2023

From time to time, when I complete a sprint, move tickets to a new one, and start it, the new one gets in it some random tickets marked as Done from months ago.

The Done column is configured correctly, being last and mapped to all our resolutions. (rejected, canceled)

The closed tickets added to the new sprint, do not have any open child or parent.

I saw the issue happening for others: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/JIRA-is-adding-new-Sprint-to-Closed-tickets/qaq-p/325058

1 answer

0 votes
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

Hello @Cristian-Dumitru Uricec 

Welcome to the Atlassian community!

Do you have issues in this state now that can be used to investigate the issue?

If so please examine the following:

1. Is the status assigned to the issue a green status (one that is part of the "Done" Status Category)?

2. Does the issue show a Resolution value next to the Status value?

3. Is the Status assigned to the issue mapped to the column farthest to the right on the Scrum board you are viewing?

4. Is this Scrum board limited to issues from only one project?

5. Can you examine the History for one of these issues and find the entry that shows the issue's Sprint field being updated to include the new sprint? 

6. Can you check the Rule Execution section for the issue to see if an Automation Rule ran for that issue at about the same time the sprint started? An Automation Rule could be responsible for adding the issue to a sprint.

Cristian-Dumitru Uricec January 30, 2023

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for your prompt response.

1&2) Yes the tickets that were added had the resolution set next to the status value. 

3) The status is assigned to the issue mapped to the farthest.

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 01.05.51.png

4) Yes, only one project

5) There is no entry on history for when the sprint was added, just me removing it. 

6) We don't have any automation rule to add it to the sprint.

Here is one of them, that was added randomly when I started the sprint. You can see also the parent, both were closed months ago with no other open tickets. 

Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 00.58.37.pngScreenshot 2023-01-31 at 00.58.43.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 30, 2023

That is a really odd situation.

I would recommend that the next time it happens, before you make any changes to the randomly added issue, you ask your Jira Admin to open a case with Atlassian Support to investigate the issue more.

Cases can be opened here:

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

If I think of any other items to investigate, I'll post back here.

If you do contact Atlassian support, it would be great if you post back here what you learn from them.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events