REST Jira Server api. How to distinguish Issue type by uniq identifier ?

Nazar Vasylyshyn April 11, 2022

Hi there! I encountered with problem that i can’t get hierarchy levels for issueTypes and somehow distinguish: epic, story, sub-task for users who still use a Jira Server. I need that because we have a users that still use a Jira Server and want to sync their issue types with custom issue type name in our App. Jira cloud rest api has that value and we can sort issueTypes by hierarchy level. Is there any solution to somehow distinguish issue types in Jira server by some uniq identifier ?

1 answer

0 votes
Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2022

What happen to using the name of the issue type? I suppose on server you do get the name of the issue type in the payload? However, I think you can literally build you own unique way using the REST API and get whatever standard you're looking for.

Nazar Vasylyshyn April 11, 2022

Thank you for response! 
The problem is that user can change issue type name whatever he want. For example: 
User can change issue type name from Story to Implementation. As result i won't know that this is Story issue type. In my implementation i need that user can pick issue type with hierarchy level 0, it means: Story, Bug, Sub-Task. Jira server rest api doesn’t include hierarchy level property for issue type, only Jira Cloud Rest Api includes.
I want to be sure that user doesn't choose epic issue type and so to be i need somehow to sort issue type by something unique.

Jira Cloud REST API for issueType 
Jira Server REST API for issueType 

Prince Nyeche
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2022

How about giving the objects the hierarchy you want by mutating it. I know from the example server don't have it but you can always design your app to preconfigure the hierarchy by instructing the user to mention which issue type is higher than the other. i.e You can setup a configure issue type screen that will just show by means of drag and drop the level of each issueType (In the same manner Advanced roadmap does it). That way, you can have a logic you can work with within your app? Therefore, when the user changes from "Story" to "Implementation", within your code you know that story is hierarchy level 0 and Implementation is hierarchy level 1. Just my thoughts on this.

Omkar Killarikar October 11, 2022

Hi @Nazar Vasylyshyn I am facing similar issue of distinguish hierarchy level of issue types. Can you please share info on this if you have figured out? Thanks

Nazar Vasylyshyn October 11, 2022

@Omkar Killarikar If you restrict your users from editing issue types name on Jira, you can try to implement approach that @Prince Nyeche mentioned above. But in my case, our users can edit issue type name and i may not know which hierarchy level i should set for specific issue type

Like Omkar Killarikar likes this

Suggest an answer