Quoted usernames in CHANGED BY clause in JQL result in error

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2024

I have completed a Jira DC to Cloud migration using JCMA 1.9.17.
The source system is Jira Software DC v9.10.1.

On the source system I execute a filter such as this:
project = XXX and assignee in ("aname@adomain.com") or project = XXX AND status changed by ("aname@adomain.com")
The filter returns results.

If I try the same filter on Jira Cloud I get an error message:
"The user 'aname@adomain.com' does not exist and cannot be used in the 'by' predicate."

I tried the filter specifying only the assignee criteria and got results, so I know the user does exist.
project = XXX and assignee in ("aname@adomain.com")

I know in Jira Cloud usernames in filters are transformed to the account id, when you select the matching user from the presented list of potential matches. However I also know that for at least some fields, such as Assignee, you can use the quoted username instead.

When using the CHANGED BY clause, Jira Cloud does not present a list of potentially matching users as you type in a username. There is no option to select the matching user and have it transformed automatically to the account id.

Attempting to use quoted usernames in the CHANGED BY clause produces the above error.

I also tried with single quotes (same error) and no quotes. With no quotes the error is:
"Error in the JQL Query: The character '@' is a reserved JQL character. You must enclose it in a string or use the escape '\u0040' instead. (line 1, character 110)"
I tried with no quotes and using specified escape code, and got the same error as using the quoted name.

I've searched for documentation on this topic, and searched Atlassian's public backlog, but didn't find anything.

I've opened a support case with Atlassian, and will report back here what they say, but thought I would also ask the community to find out if anybody has seen something like this before.

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2024

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

This defect from the backlog seems related to what you are observing:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-76147

Kind regards,
Bill

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 19, 2024

@Bill Sheboy 

Kudos to your for finding that! I was searching for "changed by" in the backlog. You have to use the right search terms to get meaningful answers. :)

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events