Quick Search - How to Find Tasks Assigned to Individuals?

Rodney Chan April 26, 2021

I'm a bit new to using JIRA, and have a hopefully quick question

My company uses JIRA Software (Cloud) and in the top right corner there is a "Search" box.

In the search, I know I can try typing in keywords to try and find tasks. I can also do a quick search on tasks assigned to me. 

But I was wondering is there a way to do a "quick search" and find all the tasks that are assigned to a specific individual?

I know I can go to "Advanced Search" and  there is a specific filter drop down to search by "Assignee" and I can find all the tasks assigned to a user here. 

Just curious if "Quick Search" is restricted to only searching keywords.

Thanks for any advice!

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Andrew Kendris
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

Hello @Rodney Chan - I think the best screen for you to run those types of searches is through the Filter screen 🙂 There you can set all sorts of parameters to get exactly what you are looking for.  There is the basic search which allows you to leverage drop down and then an advanced search where you can use JQL to write our queries.

Hope this helps and feel free to follow up with any other questions you have! Hope you are also able to join the Team '21 discussions! 

Hi @Andrew Kendris !

Thanks for the response, and if you dont mind I do have a follow up question just to clarify. 

I just want to make sure I got the lingo right so I am assuming that the searches are as follows

Quick Search

Quick serach.jpg

"Filter screen"

advanced.jpg

Advanced search

very advanced.jpg

And your recommending to use the "filter screen"?

I just wanted to make sure I am looking in the right spot :)

caglad
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 26, 2021

When you go to Filters - advanced search next to the search box in blue is either switch to JQL (where you can write the query) or switch to basic (where you can select things in the dropdown) but get you to filtering your results by searching

Like • Rodney Chan likes this
1 vote
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 26, 2021

Hello @Rodney Chan 

Welcome to the community.

In my fast search of the internet I found this document that talks about some shortcuts for that Quick Search box, but the document is for JIRA Server. I'm not sure if the same shortcuts work in Cloud (and I haven't tested them).

https://confluence.atlassian.com/jirasoftwareserver/quick-searching-939938728.html

It doesn't list anything for searching for issues assigned to other users.

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks for this

I also found something similar, and came to a similar conclusion that it doesnt seem to have the functionality I am looking for in the "Quick search". 

I just wanted to make sure I didnt miss anything and look silly in front of my pro JIRA colleagues :p

Suggest an answer