Pull request code reviewer not passed on to jira

Poorani Kathiroli November 15, 2017

Hi,

When a developer creates a pull request for a reviewer in bitbucket, this automatically transitions jira issue from development to code review. But it does not  change the assignee field in jira to the reviewer field in bitbucket. Cant figure out why it is not working?

2 answers

0 votes
Poorani Kathiroli November 19, 2017

Hi ANdrew, We are using Jira cloud and bitbucket server. Our Jira software is integrated to bitbucket. Same email ids and usernames across both.  Currently, a dev creates a pull request and assigns it to a user in bitbucket. I have set this up as a trigger to transition my issue from "in development" to in "code review". Though this trigger works in terms of auto transitioning the status from "in dev" to "in code review" it does not assign it to the code reviewer assigned in bitbucket. So the dev still has to assign this to the code reviewer in jira manually. 

Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 21, 2017

The workflow trigger is only supposed to transition the issue.  And it sounds like it is doing that. It is not expected to change the assignee within Jira as well.

One way you might be able to accomplish this is to modify the workflow's post-function in order to change the assignee whenever that transition is executed.   Steps on how to do this are in Configuring Auto-Assign

Please note that following those steps would change the assignee anytime that specific transition is executed.  Even if the transition is executed from the trigger or run manually in Jira, if setup as such, the user running the transition would be expected to then be set as the assignee in Jira.

Perhaps you have already done this.  If so, and the assignee is not changing, then I would want to check to make sure that this user has the "Assignable User" permission for this issue.  If they do not, then this user can not be assigned this issue.  

One way to tell if this user has that permission is to check using the Permission Helper in Jira to check to make sure this user can be assigned that issue.

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2017

Hi Poorani,

If I understand correctly, you are wanting to see the issue in Jira have its assignee changed when this pull request triggers the transition to use the Bitbucket user account.

This is not something that Jira is setup to do natively.   Even if you have Jira and Bitbucket integrated, the smart commits feature between these applications is just expecting to have that pull request transition the issue in Jira. 

The transition process in Jira is not expecting to change the assignee of the issue.   Complicating this is the fact that Jira and Bitbucket don't always have the same userbases, so it might not even be possible to assign an issue in Jira to a user in Bitbucket.  If that user doesn't even exist in Jira, there is no way to assign it to them.

If the userbases are the same, then there might be a way to do this.  But before exploring that possibility, I'd like to know more about your setup.  Are you using Jira Cloud or Jira Server?   And same question for bitbucket, Cloud or Server?

Regards,
Andy

Suggest an answer