Public Dashboard not showing anything

David Booth August 2, 2021

Hi, 

I have a requirement to create a public dashboard for customers to view the status of one of our projects.

I have created a Dashboard and made the access public.

The dashboard contains the "Filter issues" widget and the Filter that is selected is public. 

When I view the dashboard via the link in an unauthenticated session, the title of the dashboard is displayed, but nothing else. 

As a Jira newbie, any help would be gratefully received. 

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 4, 2021

Hi @David Booth

am I recognizing it correctly the type of the project is "team-managed"?

If so, please be noted that:

you can't allow anonymous access to a team-managed project. If you want to allow anonymous access, ask your Jira admin to create a company-managed project for you.

Citing: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/next-gen-permissions/

Regards,
Daniel

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

If you're unauthenticated, you may not have permission to see the issues that the filter returns.  If you do not have the right to see an issue, the gadget will not attempt to render it on the dashboard. 

So, my guess is that you need to log in to see the issues.

Many thanks for the quick response. In the support documentation (snippet below), it refers to a dashboard that has been shared as "public" being available to users that are not logged in. 

I was reading that as "anyone" can see the dashboard, but do you think that it might mean "anyone logged in to Jira" can see the dashboard?

Manage shared dashboards

A dashboard is a customizable page that can display many different types of information, depending on your areas of interest. Jira users can create and manage their own dashboards.

A shared dashboard is a dashboard whose creator has shared that dashboard with other users. You can share a dashboard with: 

• Group—A group of Jira users.
  • Project—All members or members with specific project roles working on one or multiple projects.
  • Any logged-in user—Any user who is logged-in to your Jira Cloud site. 
  • Public—Public sharing means sharing the dashboard with users who are not logged in to your Jira Cloud site. Note that if you share a dashboard publicly, it will be visible and searchable on the internet.
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 2, 2021

No, it means "anyone" can see it, irrespective of their login.

You would have got an error message rather than an empty gadget if your unauthenticated user did not have permission to see the dashboard.

The problem here looks like that they can't see the issues your dashboard is trying to report on.  Because they have no permission to see them, the dashboard is not rendering them.

Like David Booth likes this

Thanks @Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 

I wondered if it might be a persmissions problem with the issues.

I did try and find permissions settings for Issues but couldn't spot anything. Do I need to set the permissions on the issues somewhere? 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 2, 2021

Yes, you need to allow "anyone" to view issues if you want to have unauthenticated people see them.

Check the groups listed for "browse project" permission in the permission scheme for the project(s) - if you add the "group" called "anyone", then you should then have anonymous access.

David Booth August 3, 2021

Thanks again for your response. I did what you suggested and I am still stuck.

I am sure I must be missing something simple, so I am sorry to be a pain, but if you have time, could you have another look and let me know what I have missed?

Where I am now is 

- the Dashboatd and Filters are public. 

- the project has permissions set to Anyone

- the product has permissions to Anyone

Dashboard-Permissions.pngfilter-permissions.pngproduct-permissions.pngproject-permissions.png

David Booth August 3, 2021

This is how the Dashboard shows to the public user. dashboard.png

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
August 4, 2021

What gadgets have you got on the dashboard?

I'm guessing there are some reports on there using filters, probably the shared ones you've got named "wagestream ..." - those filters are probably invalid for some reason (such as the public user not being able to see the project, and hence issues, they should return)

Try visiting the filters section and seeing what happens when you use the filters - I'm expecting it to say project and/or field not valid for the public user, because they do not have the project permission to see them (be interesting to see if you, as a logged in user, gets different errors or working filters)

Enrico Schoch January 18, 2022

Hi there,

I'm using various reports inside the dashboard and have the same problem, nothing is visible. moreover the message seems pretty clear that I have no access to the dashboard not that the reports inside are not, for some reason, visible.

Enrico Schoch January 18, 2022

BTW, I'm trying to make my dashboard public, which is written that anyone on the internet have "view" access.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 18, 2022

It's the same as above, you will need to allow people to see both the dashboard and the projects and issues it is reporting on.

Suggest an answer