Prune/Delete atlassian-jira.log

It Support September 5, 2017

I added debugging today to examine email related issues, and my atlassian-jira.log grew to 33 GB (usually much much smaller) in size.  I have turned off the debugging, and the log has frozen in size, but I now I need to rather prune it dramatically, or delete it (allowing it to recreate).  How do I go about doing either of these things?  I tried to moved it to our storage drive, but as expected, it cannot move while in use.  I did not see any pruning options in the UI

Jira version 7.3.6

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 6, 2017

If you were on a Unix/Linux system, then you should just be able to move/delete this log file.  If you are using Windows, then it is possible that the JIRA/JAVA process running has a lock on the log file preventing you from moving it while JIRA is running.

To get around this you could try either of these steps:

1. Stop JIRA - from there you can then move/delete this file.  When you restart JIRA it will automatically create a new log
  2. You could try to go in to JIRA, Cog Icon -> System -> Logging and Profiling, and then select the "Log Rollover" checkbox and then click the "Mark" button below.  This will cause the log file to separate into a new file.

If you stop JIRA and still can't move this, then something else on the system has the lock on the file (most commonly a program like antivirus that would be trying to scan the file contents).

It Support September 6, 2017

ironically the mark option split all the files save the one I needed.  I will stop the service off hourse I guess.  thank you

Suggest an answer