• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Project suggestion

I have only worked with software projects up until this point in Jira. I am beginning to transition system infrastructure projects into Jira. What is the best project template to use?

2 answers

0 votes
John Funk Community Leader Jan 14, 2021

Hi Raoul,

Can you share a little more information as to exactly what you want to do? 

I want to create a new project that will decommission a server we are no longer using. The project will need epics and stories so not just task based. 

When you create a new project in Jira it asks you to use a template. I am just not sure which would be the best to use.

John Funk Community Leader Jan 14, 2021

Thank you for the additional information.

Here is my guide - if you to setup something simple with little customization or modifications, then Next-gen projects are probably the way to go.

If you need to share custom fields and other objects (schemes, etc.)  across projects and you need to be able to add customization of workflows and boards, etc. Then you should probably create a Classic Software project.

I hope that helps a little. 

0 votes
Daniel Ebers Community Leader Jan 16, 2021

Hi @Raoul Kaiser

processes like this are in many companies aligned with the ITIL framework (by term of request fulfilment).
You can learn more about here if you not yet familiar with the specifics:
https://www.atlassian.com/itsm/itil

This is where Jira Service Management could be an option for your team.

Using this you can offer your (also internal) users a portal where they can raise issues and features like SLA are built-in.

In case you do not need these features a Classic project or next-gen, like John said, could be an easy alternative.

From a personal opinion (but this might not apply as better knowledge of your team's way working would be needed) Epics are more suitable for a longer development project to structure work. On the other hand using it for infrastructure based todos is not totally wrong.
It all might depend on you exact use cases.

What in any case comes in handy is Automation, which is also built-in, using this the possibilities are pretty much endless.
Also, adaptions to your projects are always possible so even after some time passed you still have all options to fine-tune settings.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
Community showcase
Posted in Jira Software

Presenting the "Best of 2020" Jira Software roundup!

Catch up with Atlassian Product Managers in our 2020 Demo Den round-up! From Advanced Roadmaps to Code in Jira to Next-Gen Workflows, check out the videos below to help up-level your work in the new ...

7,184 views 8 28
Join discussion

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you