Project setup for Marketing, Development, Sales, etc...

Trent Kocurek August 7, 2014

Hello all,

I was wondering if there was a best practice to this type of configuration. I have a project (Test Project), I have an Agile Scrum board for development tasks. I want to be able to tie another board for our marketing team to use that is tied to the same project. Is this bad form? Are you supposed to create a new project for each team? For instance Test Project Development, Test Project Marketing, etc...? I am treating the project as the Product which will have each of these departments.

Any advice is appreciated!

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2014

Hey Trent.

As the Scrum board is a board of tasks that should be done in a sprint, if your development team and marketing team are not doing concurrent tasks of that same sprint you will prefer to separate them in two projects (or at least two different sprints).

Actually this will greatly depend on what's your project like.

For example if your marketing team will make a campaing for the product created by your development team, this will be done on, at least, a separeted sprint ( I would prefer to use a separated project). If that marketing team will not interact with the development you should be safer create two projects.

hope this helps.

Trent Kocurek August 7, 2014

This does help. So you're saying I can't set it up like:

Company:

• Project One
    • Marketing Board
    • Sales Board
    • SCRUM Board
  • Project Two
    • Marketing Board
    • Sales Board
    • SCRUM Board

For each project we could have different teams for marketing, sales, and development. So it would be nice to have this type of navigation. Does that make sense?

0 votes
Diego Zarpelon
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 7, 2014

Hey Trent.

As the Scrum board is a board of tasks that should be done in a sprint, if your development team and marketing team are not doing concurrent tasks of that same sprint you will prefer to separate them in two projects (or at least two different sprints).

Actually this will greatly depend on what's your project like.

For example if your marketing team will make a campaing for the product created by your development team, this will be done on, at least, a separeted sprint ( I would prefer to use a separated project). If that marketing team will not interact with the development you should be safer create two projects.

hope this helps.

Suggest an answer