Problem with account permissions

Jim Reynolds January 19, 2022

I have created a new account to learn Jira Software and related products. I am an experience Trello user.

My user account shows the correct email address, and when I view my User Details screen (see below), I have all the correct permissions. But when I try to use certain features in Jira Software, I get various messages that I lack permissions, that I need to speak to the site administrator (that's me), etc. 

Why does Jira Software think I am not the Site Administrator when I am using the product? 

Screenshot 2022-01-19 212738.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 19, 2022

Hi @Jim Reynolds , The image above is simply informational and will be shown for any site admin. Can you be more specific or provide examples of where you are getting permission denied when trying to use the product?

Jim Reynolds January 20, 2022

Jack,

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I find your other posts in this forum very helpful, too.

I am the only person signed up in my company (for now, hope to roll this out to the company) - so there isn't anyone else to be an admin. But my access and permissions are limited. How do I set myself to have top-level Admin privileges across all my projects? 

I was reading a post by you about permissions. In my case, I am trying to 'Change Parent'. When I try to change the parent of an issue, I do not have the permissions.  Jira Change Parent.png

Even when I try to change my email address, I am unable to do it and I see a note that "Email address is set by your admin." 

change email.png

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2022

Hi Jim, always glad to assist or at least try. 😉

there isn't (AFAIK) a "change parent" feature. If you are trying to move a sub-task to a different parent task you use the Move command which is shown in your more pop up.

if you are not seeing the Delete in that same pop up then it is disabled I suspect. If this is a CMP go to project settings > permissions and look for Delete issues.

If you have "verified your domain" then you as the Org/system admin should be able to manage your user completely including emails within the app. If you have not done this then users will be responsible for managing their own Atlassian account at id.atlassian.com. I suggest you try going there to see if you can change your email.

If you set up the instance the you will be the Org admin. To verify your permissions go to admin> user management and find your username and show details.

Like Jim Reynolds likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2022

Btw, I assume your original image was reflecting your details which means you have full permissions.

Jim Reynolds January 20, 2022

Thx. In your post I linked to about checking permissions, there is a "Change Parent" link in that menu, along with the Delete link. The fact that I don't have that in my menu was one reason I assumed I lacked permissions. 

I'll assume I'm the admin and I'll use the Move command if I need to do that. Issue closed. ;-)

Like Jack Brickey likes this
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2022

Ah yes....sorry. "Change parent" is used in TMP projects only. So in your case you are using CMP project. So I should correct my earlier response....

CMP - use Move to change the parent of an issue

TMP - use Change parent to change the parent of an issue

why oh why is this not made consistent 😏

personally I like Change parent but the Move covers all scenarios changing the parent, moving an issue to another project, or changing the issue type.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events