Problem with Activity Stream on Dashboard

Dirk_Kias November 15, 2017

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-15 um 12.26.52.png

Hello,

we have a Problem with the dashboard.

The Activity Stream applet takes ages to load and shows an 504 Gateway Time-out afterwards.

I have searched the logs after an error wich could explain the problem but found nothing.

1 answer

0 votes
Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2017

Hi Dirk,

I would recommend first starting with the Network Connectivity Troubleshooting Guide. In addition to that I would recommend Recording a HAR file and having a look at that to see what might be causing your server to not respond.

Kind Regards,
Shannon

Dirk_Kias November 23, 2017

Hello Schannon,

I checked the application links and they work fine as far as I can see.
Firewall entries are set and I can reach each Server throw the links.

Our Problem is that the Jira Server can't access the Plugins over the Dashbord applet.

What is interesting that it works from time to time an then it fails again.

With the developer tools I couls se that there are indeed:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 504 (Gateway Time-out)

Sadly I have no clue how to fix that Problem.

Dirk_Kias November 23, 2017

Bildschirmfoto 2017-11-23 um 16.14.35.png

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 23, 2017

Hi Dirk,

Can you try Step 4 from Resolution on Gadgets do not display when failing to access XML specification

We need to make sure that your server is able to access itself from the URL mentioned in the article.

Of course, be sure to replace the example support.atlassian.com with your own instance URL.

Send us the results of the test.

Kind regards,

Shannon 

Dirk_Kias November 24, 2017

Hi Shannon,

ok I had a look at resolution with the following results.

1. We use Jira 7.6

2. No firewall restrictions

3.  <Connector port="8080"

maxThreads="150"

minSpareThreads="25"

connectionTimeout="20000"

enableLookups="false"

maxHttpHeaderSize="8192"

protocol="HTTP/1.1"

useBodyEncodingForURI="true"

redirectPort="8443"

acceptCount="100"

disableUploadTimeout="true"

bindOnInit="false"

scheme="https"

proxyName="jira.dynacloud.de"

proxyPort="8443"/>

4.  wget test succsesful

[root@jira1 ~]# wget https://jira.dynacloud.de:8443/rest/gadgets/1.0/g/com.atlassian.jira.gadgets:assigned-to-me-gadget/gadgets/assigned-to-me-gadget.xml

--2017-11-24 10:37:00--  https://jira.dynacloud.de:8443/rest/gadgets/1.0/g/com.atlassian.jira.gadgets:assigned-to-me-gadget/gadgets/assigned-to-me-gadget.xml

Auflösen des Hostnamen »jira.dynacloud.de (jira.dynacloud.de)«... 85.184.251.63

Verbindungsaufbau zu jira.dynacloud.de (jira.dynacloud.de)|85.184.251.63|:8443... verbunden.

HTTP-Anforderung gesendet, warte auf Antwort... 200

Länge: 113068 (110K) [application/xml]

In »»assigned-to-me-gadget.xml.1«« speichern.

100%[===========================================================================================================================================>] 113.068     --.-K/s   in 0,001s 

2017-11-24 10:37:00 (73,6 MB/s) - »»assigned-to-me-gadget.xml.1«« gespeichert [113068/113068]

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 24, 2017

Hi Dirk,

Thank you for running those tests.

Could you let me know your baseURL as well as where your SSL is installed?

Thank you!

Kind regards,

Shannon

Sure the base url is https://jira.dynacloud.de:8443

SSL is installed on the Proxy Server wich run's on an nginx webserver

Shannon S
Atlassian Team
November 24, 2017

Alright, thank you Dirk.

I'm not terribly familiar with NGINX, but I want to verify if you have gone over the information yet in Integrating Jira with NGINX as well as 3 Steps to Set up NGINX as Proxy Server?

I also found another post where a user had to use 8080 rather than 8443 as his Tomcat wasn't working properly with 8443.

I hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Shannon

Hi Shannon,

as you can See here all is set.

proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Host $host;        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-Server $host;        proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;        proxy_pass http://jira1.dynacloud.de:8080/;        proxy_set_header    X-Real-IP $remote_addr;        proxy_connect_timeout       600;        proxy_send_timeout          600;        proxy_read_timeout          600;        send_timeout                600;

My main problem ist that is works at times and fails at others.

g
Atlassian Team
November 24, 2017

Hey Dirk,

Let`s try to bypass reverse proxy and check if the issue is there. That way we will eliminate Nginx from the equation.

If the problem is still there check the Network tab if the issue is the same and also JIRA logs for the error message at that time.

It is possible that you have a performance issue, so please check if the CPU is spiking at the time, and if it is, check heap usage and increase heap if necessary.

p.s. Intermittent issues like that are porbably releated to the performance.

Cheers,

Gojko

Suggest an answer