Preventing transition when unsaved changes exist

Jakub Nowacki May 23, 2019

Hello,

I've created a workflow where edits to Issue's subject and description are only allowed in initial state. After transitioning to next state further edits are disabled.

Problem is that users who edit description in initial state forget to hit save button and transition to next state. Then workflow doesn't allow to "go back" and saving isn't allowed anymore due to edits disabled.

I'm looking for a way to prevent this misuse. Is there a way to either:

- block transition when unsaved changes exist ?

- force save when transition occurs if changes exist ?

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2019

Hi Jakub,

I assume by "initial state" you don't mean on Create. Otherwise, you could have a different create screen from the edit screen. 

You might consider using a Transition screen that makes sure the fields are populated before the transition can happen. 

Jakub Nowacki May 29, 2019

Hi John,

Thanks for replying. To clarify, by "initial state" I mean first state (let's call it "To Do") AFTER issue is created.

My problem is not with fields not being populated. All fields are already populated. Problem is that Users modify "Description" field by changing text that is already there. I'm looking for a way to make sure that those changes are applied before allowing transition to any other state.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2019

There are add-ons such as Automation for JIRA and ScriptRunner that will help you do that. But, again, adding a Transition screen specifically for the Description field might be the best and least costly solution. 

Jakub Nowacki May 29, 2019

Thanks for the hint. I'll try to achieve this without going into add-ons, will see if configuring transition screen will help with this.

Jakub Nowacki June 7, 2019

I've tried approach with custom transition screen, but unfortunately it doesn't work. Unsaved changed in Description field don't show up in Screen. It does display field itself but in last saved state.

Looks like add-on is the only way to achieve this.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 7, 2019

Sorry that didn't work out, Jakub. Maybe you could add a question to the Transition Screen to ask them if they saved their changes first? Or remind them to save them. Otherwise, I think the add-on will do what you need. 

Jakub Nowacki June 12, 2019

Thanks for suggestion, John. From my experience asking nicely users to do something isn't 100% guarantee to avoid mistakes :) I was hoping I could implement more solid solution to prevent those.

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 12, 2019

We had the same internal request hit us this week. We have not been able to figure out any good solution for it other than if the pain the user feels when they forget to hit the check mark to save it. 

Suggest an answer