Prepending Issue Number to a Case Summary

dschneider August 17, 2017

I'm bleary-eyed trying to find a solution to this that doesn't require some add-on or another.

I just want to prepend the issue number to the Case Summary of existing cases.

Example Case Summary for issue XYZ-123:

Before: "The thing doesn't work"

After: "[XYZ-123] The thing doesn't work"

I realize that if I use a string variable on a case that does not yet have an issue number that there will probably be an untranslated variable in the string until the issue is actually receives a number.

Example:

"[%issue.number%] The thing doesn't work"

I'm not a programmer by any stretch of the imagination, so hopefully there's something as simple as... say... the syntax of the [~username] function. BTW, [~issue.number] didn't work. :-)

Thank you in advance.

1 answer

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2017

Storing information in more than once place is not a good idea in general. If you move the issue to another project then the issue key (XYZ-123) will change to ABC-123 and now your Summary field has outdated information. Also, removing such information from Summary fields once they have been changed is hard to automate.

All JIRA issues have issue keys but there's no way to insert something (e.g. wiki markup) that will later be replaced by the issue key.

If you really need to do this, you need to be ready for a bit of coding.

~Matt

Author of Practical JIRA Administration, O'Reilly

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 17, 2017

Or export to Excel and do it in there

Suggest an answer