Prepare sprint in kanban board then use sprint and scrum board for development

adrien.bacarisse December 6, 2021

Hi,

With my team, we want to use a kanban board to handle backlog refinement, and then we want to use a Scrum backlog, board, and sprint for development.

I set up a simple workflow (something like: open -> refinement -> ready for sprint -> to do -> in progress -> finished)

The Kanban board shows the first steps and we want the issues to fall into the sprint backlog at the “Ready for Sprint” step.

The sprint board filter has “Ready to sprint” and up.

We can see the issues in the sprint backlog if the “Ready for sprint” column is configured in the sprint table, but we don't want to display this column in sprint board.

I've tested the solution of this thread without success:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Software-questions/Connect-the-workflow-of-two-boards-in-Jira-one-Scrum-and-one/qaq-p/1550940

What did I miss?
Thanks a lot for your help.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 6, 2021

For a Company Managed project Scrum board, the first column of the board is the "starting" status of the Sprint by design. The design is such that the first status represents issues in the backlog and issues in a Sprint where work on those issues has not yet started. Typically more work is added to a sprint than can be started all at once, so it makes sense to have a "work not started yet" status for the issues in the sprint. As the work starts on an issue, the issue is then transitioned to the "in progress" status.

If you don't include that status on the board, then the issues will not display in the scrum backlog either. That is also by design.

In my opinion, you should collapse the"ready to sprint" and "to do" statuses into one status.

By design, you can't have a status in a Scrum board that is only for displaying issues in the backlog. The column also has to be mapped to a column of the board.

adrien.bacarisse December 7, 2021

Hi, 

Thanks a lot, you made my day !

0 votes
Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 6, 2021

Hi @adrien.bacarisse ,

That is tricky. I am thinking of a solution, but haven't tested it.

Add a post-function on refinement -> ready for sprint transition. (let us say CF1 will be updated to "Ready")

Now modify the scrum board's filter query to include this field 

project=ABC and CF1='Ready'

The above query may get all issues from the project that has a value for CF1 ( which is provided during the transition). You can add columns to the board(excluding ready for sprint and they will be under unmapped issues). Backlog must contain all issues with CF1='Ready' value though. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events