Preferred way to receive notification against ticket on Slack channels

binay_yadav May 5, 2021

I want to get a notification on a slack channel whenever a task is created in Jira. I can think of two options as mentioned below:

1. Create a automation rule on my project and create an action to receive a Webhook against my slack channel URL.

2. Or use jira-slack-integration and create slack integration channels on jira to receive the notification against ticket.

Which way is the most preferred way as per jira best practices.

1 answer

0 votes
Andy Heinzer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 7, 2021

Personally I prefer using the free integration of Jira Cloud for Slack (Official).  However in the terms of what is best practice from a Jira aspect, I don't think either method is preferred over the other.

Either way can work here.  However I think that using this app is a bit easier to setup and configure than to do so using automation.  Also automation has some service limits that are likely far smaller than the limitations of the app. Granted those service limits tend to apply to global execution limits as opposed to project limited rules, but I would still tend to lean towards using the app for this kind of integration.

I hope this helps.

Andy

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events