Please make Sprint editable like FixVersion from Jira Item Detail or Edit Page

PaulH April 17, 2013

Our Jira team won't make the Sprint field editable because of advice from Jira support. This makes the feature unusable for us as it literally takes 2 minutes to change the sprint for a Jira item vs. 2 seconds if the Sprint field were made editable like fixversion. Requiring people to use the drag and drop interface is very time-consuming if they are already in the Jira item page. We have too many tasks and too many people to train, so we'll have to continue to use the classic features.

The fixversion field was editable, why not make the Sprint field editable or at least not advise IT people to keep it read-only? I've always been a fan of Jira, Greenhopper and Atlassian and I welcome the addition of the Sprint field, but if you phase out the ability to quickly edit the Sprint we'll have to look for alternative systems.

Edit Fix Version From Jira Item Page (Classic Functionality)

1) click on edit icon

2) type in fixversion with help of suggest list

3) hit check button

Total Time: 2s

Edit Sprint from Jira Item Page (New Functionality)

1) Select View on Board

2) Switch to Plan Board

3) Find Jira item

4) Select jira item on plan board - displays details on right

5) Select "Remove from Sprint" from gear icon on the right

6) Jira item is moved to backlog

7) Find Jira item in backlog

8) Collapse sprints for easy dragging

9) drag to desired sprint

Time: ~2 minutes

5 answers

1 vote
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2014

@Tom, I'm sorry that you're upset by my actions.

I don't work for atlassian, but rather just a passionate user. I spend a lot of time crawling this Q&A forum, and try to point folks in the right direction, and prune content for duplicate content. This is one of those questions that quickly spirals away from assisting the OP, and instead making complaints about the tooling.

This effort is better focused into construction discussion in a public feature request, which is exactly what I instructed Paul to do when I closed his questions.

1 vote
Deleted user January 31, 2014

There is a disturbing attitude problem evident in the replies from the Atlassian staff, to many different requests by users/customers of JIRA. Eddie Webb's comment above is a classic example. Atlassian staff seem to strongly believe that they alone understand how software development should be done. Any user/customer who describes how they develop or want to develop in ways that are not well supported by JIRA, is told by Atlassian staff that, in essence, they are idiots. My teams on my projects want (really, need) the same feature that Paul Huard asked for. That feature should not be contentious, because all attributes of an issue should be editable from everywhere that any attributes are editable, excepting special cases that entail exceptional risks. We are going to start evaluating other products as alternatives to JIRA.

** Moderator Edit **
Eddie Webb is not an Atlassian employee, and does not speak for the company or it's employees.

0 votes
Pablo Beltran
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 31, 2014

Editing the Sprint attribute from JIRA in some way has a lot of sense. In fact, this is the way how the Links Hierarchy add-on resolves a requirement from some corporations asking for a quick way to add all the tasks related to a story into the same sprint with few clicks and without erros:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVYqFkMmQa4

As it can be appreciated in the video, the Sprint field is editable from JIRA by making bulk changes.

Hope this helps.

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2013

I think you are largely missing the idea of sprints. These are not something you would just change, unless you failed to deliver an issye in one sprint, and carry it into the next, which GH will do automatically for you.

If you are moving issues from sprint to sprint often enough for this to be a problem, you should read some of the many books or articles on agile methodology, sprint planning, and team commitments.

0 votes
EddieW
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2013

@PAul, I have close dyour question as a feature request. If you feel strongly enough despite my comments above, you can submit feature enhancement requests at jira.atlassian.com

Suggest an answer