Our Sprint shows more Story points than what is showing on our board.

Carl Mukurazhizha August 23, 2022

We are trying to determine why Our sprint shows ay more story points than what we planned for and what we are actively working on. When we complete a sprint for example and we rollover two tickets it will show for example rolling over 13 story points which is inaccurate. I have a theory on what the issue could be but I need confirmation.

I believe that related issues to that ticket whether in the current sprint or not add to the total count for your current sprint. So for example a if a related issue to a ticket that is 3 story points, has estimation of 4 story points. This would be an additional 4 story points added to your count but not have been accounted for. Is this correct? And if so what are the options to have a more accurate count? Would we want to delink the related issues and have them as stand alone issue or do we need to make sure that related issues are worked with in that current Sprint? 

If that is not the source of our problem would anyone know what could be the source?

Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

Hi @Carl Mukurazhizha and welcome to the community!

Linked issues should have no bearing on your current sprint.  A likely possibility is that another project is using the same sprint as your project.  Sprints are global so when you complete a sprint, you're completing it for all projects that share that sprint.  As a result, you'll get those "phantom" extra story points.

@Mark Segall Thank you Mark glad to be part of the community. Thanks for the explanation. I didn’t realize that sprints are global. Being that that is the case, is there a way to work around the phantom story points being that it distorts the reports?

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 23, 2022

You have a couple options:

1. Change the naming convention of your sprints so that they're unique (e.g. Project Key - Sprint n)
    NOTE - I would not simply rename existing sprints because you'd be renaming them for the other project as well.  So, if you go this approach, create new sprints and move your issues into them.
  2. Find out what other projects are using the same sprint name and coordinate sprint closure with that team.

@Mark Segall Ok thanks Mark :)

Suggest an answer