Organizing projects

Random Synapz December 23, 2014

My team is the first adopters of JIRA Agile in our org and we structured the work such that what's known as a 'project' in JIRA is a specific software system we are responsible for. We're using epics to organize any actual business project work (which typically requires work across multiple systems).

Other teams in our org, which are migrating from VersionOne, are having a hard time accepting this structure, as the term 'project' creates understandable confusion.

Our argument is that the systems/applications persist and this way allows us to group stories within a 'project' for all work that relate to that system. Their argument is that a JIRA project should contain all the work for that business project and any stories related to a system/application should be part of epics. 

Is this a common problem? Are there any suggestions to alternate approaches or solutions?

I want to be able to come to a common ground and find a solution that meets all of our needs.

1 answer

0 votes
shari_anderson December 24, 2014

I agree with your argument, and that's how we use it where I work. You could also use epics thought if you had a large piece of work and wanted to break that down into stories, say maybe an epic for the UI and one for the DB work for a particular release. I believe Agile is most commonly used where a project is an application.

Suggest an answer