Optimise/Repair option not appearing next to the ranking field?

Norman Hills May 23, 2012

We are having some problems getting ranking to work, one thing we need to do is optimise/repair the rank field, on the Greenhopper config screen for our Scrum projects, the Rank field is shown but there is no option to optimise/repair it - has anyone seen this?

Cheers

Norman

4 answers

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 23, 2012

Hi All,

In recent versions of GreenHopper we have implemented the Global Rank field which replaces the old numeric Rank field with a linked list of all issues in the system. The Global Rank field is always consistent and does not need to be repaired. The Global Rank cannot be directly edited.

Global Rank was introduced for the Rapid Board in the 5.8 series of GreenHopper and became the only ranking field late in the 5.8 series, I think around 5.8.5.

Thanks,
Shaun

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2012

ok, so we were hunting for ghosts... ;-)

thank you for the information

Sorin Sbarnea (Citrix)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
September 18, 2013

I have GH 6.3 and it seems that some issues are missing from the Agile boards without a reasons. After I investigated I found that this may be caused by some inconsistencies inside the Ranking table which is supposed be always be consistent. It seems that it isn't...

0 votes
Thanks Thomas, I'm beginning to think you're right, time to get Atlassian involved :-( Cheers Norman
0 votes
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 23, 2012

Hi Norman,

did you configure the field "Rank" in your project template as the ranking field ? The optimize / repair field is only visible when the field is configured as the Ranking field.

Best regards

Thomas

Hi Thomas,

On the project configuration page it is using the 'Scrum' template and the Ranking field box shows 'Rank', there is no optimise/repair in the box to the right, this is the same in the greenhopper config screen and on the project config screen.

Cheers

Norman

Hi Nic,

On the custom field screen the Rank field is of type 'Global Rank' and is applied to all issue types.

Cheers

Norman

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2012

Ok, that answers the first half of my question. The second half is important too, and we have to be *very* clear.

Does the box showing "rank" appear as a select list with "rank" as the first/default item and "add" to the right. Or, does it appear as plain text saying "rank"?

If it's the first, then you have NOT added rank to the project as the ranking field. Click Add and see what happens (then you'll understand why I say this screen can be confusing and effectively lying to you)

Greenhopper template screen looks like this - trying to add a screenshot wont let me add it.

On greenhopper project template screen with Scrum template selected it shows like this with no select list anywhere

Ranking field Field name Actions

Rank

Switching to the default template it looks like this

Ranking field Field name Actions

Rank remove field

the only action is to remove. If I create a new template I get a dropdown allowing me to choose the Rank field and add it.

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2012

hi Norman,

that is ok, because you can't change or remove the ranking field of the scrum template. If you change the first dropdown to another template, you should see, what Nic asked.

Best regards

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2012

So far, everything sounds right.

Did you try to change the GreenHopper Template in your project to default ? What's happening ? Is the repair option visible then ?

Nope, no repair option

Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2012

Sorry Norman, I have no idea what is going wrong there. Everything seems right.

Nic, do you have another idea ?

I think you should ask official Atlassian Support (https://support.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa)

Good Luck

Thomas

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2012

Nope, we've run through the probnlems with config I've run into before. The field should be there and offering "optimise". I vote for punting it to Atlassian support.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 23, 2012

Just a quick sanity check - is the rank field valid (in field config) for this project? And have you added it? The config screen often makes it look like the field is there when it actually hasn't been added yet.

Suggest an answer