Opening a Story in Greenhopper

Paul Denize February 18, 2013

When I select a story in greenhopper it opens in a small panel to the right.

It may be personal preference, but I find this panel a good view but almost useless to use to edit the story or progress it. So I right click and open in a new window.

Is is possible to configure the default action on selecting a story to open in a new window? i.e. Just like outlook I want to turn the reading pane (pain) off.

Every time I forget and click a story it squishes my agile board and I have to then close the preview and then open in a new window - this really interferes with usability for me.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Paul Denize February 18, 2013

Both actions described do in fact avoid the preview like feature but both open a new tab not a new window. And it does not shift focus to the new tab. But a small search and following your lead I found "Shift - Click" does open a new window, and set focus. This shortcut will make it a bit easier.

But it’s still an annoying feature.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2013

Have you seen that you can pretty much completely customize what appears in the detail view (i.e the preview pane) in recent versions of GreenHopper? To be honest most people love being able to work with the issue without having to leave the board, if you want to edit the story you can just hit the 'e' keyboard shortcut to bring up the edit dialog, if you want to transition the issue couldn't you just dreag and drop it to the right column?

Thanks,
Shaun

Paul Denize February 23, 2013

Yes, I see that but its the workflow buttons and actions I find difficult to get to in this Log Time they are in a menu rather than a single click. And I often want to open several issues to look for common cause, or to combine retest.

sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 23, 2013

You can access these actions (workflow transitions and log time) by hitting the '.' keyboard shortcut which will bring up a typeahead menu, that way you don't have to leave the board at all.

Cheers,
Shaun

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 18, 2013

Hey Paul,

There's no way to set this not to happen, but you can easily open the full JIRA view in another tab by either middle clicking the issue key or holding down Ctrl and clicking the issue key.

Thanks,
Shaun

Suggest an answer