Only sub-task owner can move to In Progress on a JIRA Agile Board?

Greg Taylor January 8, 2014

Is there a way to allow a ScrumMaster to move/update Sub-tasks that are assigned to other team members? During the Daily Scrum, a ScrumMaster may want to make updates live in the JIRA board, but it seems to be impossible. Is there a combination of permissions and workflow that I can use to allow the ScrumMaster to change the status of tasks from To Do to In Progress if needed without modifying the sub-task owner?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel Wester
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014

Check your workflow. The default JIRA workflow used to have a limitation where only the assignee could move things by default.

Greg Taylor January 9, 2014

Digging around in the workflow documentation, I found that within a workflow at the Transition level there are customizable Conditions that can be set. It appears that the Condition for executing the Transition I'm attempting has an "Only the owner of the issue can execute this transition" constraint.

Thanks for the direction!

0 votes
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 9, 2014

yep. that sounds like a permission issue, but instead of trying to troubleshoot it myself, i would advise using the permission helper. you can enter what you want to do, and it'll spit out why you can't.

Suggest an answer