Only show stories in Agile Board

Kevin Preston June 11, 2018

Hi,

I have 40+ stories each of which contain multiple development sub-tasks, for example, create a new database table, add a button to screen, write form data back to database etc.) 

The workflow is set as To Do, Dev, Test, UAT, Done

The main Agile board currently shows all the sub-tasks in the swimlanes under the story, however, the subtasks themselves will only move independently across the board as far as Dev, and from that point on it is the story that is tested, user acceptance and considered done.

Our dev team is planning on using their own physical task board and post-its for the dev task so I would like to use the Jira Agile board to just show the story so I can move that across the board as it progresses through each stage.

How do you set this up?

Cheers,

Kevin.

3 answers

1 vote
Kevin Preston June 12, 2018

OK, we are nearly there :-)

We have set up two workflows, WF1 for subtasks and WF2 for the rest of the issue types.

The ideal goal would be to have one board that shows WF1 workflow that only shows the sub-tasks (preferably grouping them by their parent story). The developers will use this board to move the sub-tasks from ToDO->InDev->Done

Then, a second board that shows WF2, which is for moving the stories from ToDo->InDev->InTest->PO Review->UAT, Done.

At the moment we have one board that shows all the columns for both workflows in which you can only move the sub-tasks to the WF1 columns and the stories to the WF2 columns which makes the board quite confusing.

Is there a way to have two separate boards for the same sprint, one for the dev sub-tasks and one for the parent stories?

Cheers in advance,

Kevin. 

0 votes
Kevin Preston June 12, 2018

Hi, I have not tried it yet but I found the option to have different workflows for different issue types. In theory, I can have a simple toDO->In Dev->Parked->Done workflow for tasks and the more overarching ToDo->In Dev->In Test->UAT->Done workflow for the stories.

Will be trying this today so will report back.

0 votes
Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2018

Hi @Kevin Preston,

I think you can filter out subtasks through board query conditions,like

Project = A and issuetype !=sub-task

KANBAN.png

Kevin Preston June 11, 2018

Hi,

I tried that and it does remove the sub-tasks but the stories remain as headers right across the workflow so you can't move them along.

Cheers,

Kevin.

Ollie Guan
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 11, 2018

Hi @Kevin Preston,

It is recommended that you try to adjust

1. Matching relationship between issue state and board columns

2. Base Swimlanes on Assignees

Like scraig likes this
nicolas.salgado November 1, 2019

@Kevin Preston  those are the swimlines. Go to swimlines configuration and set it as None.

Suggest an answer