One Project, Multiple teams with own sprints, stories passing through process

Ben Hooper May 4, 2017

I would like to setup JIRA to operate across multiple teams (Product Owners (PO) / Business Analysts (BA) / Development (DEV) / QA) working on a single project.  These teams may have different sprint lengths, but will be working on the same task/story as it flows from the PO->BA->DEV->QA.

I would like these team to generally operate in a SCRUM style.  It is important that stories/tasks that are generated by the Product Owners follow through each team as they process them. 

The stories/tasks need to be estimated and logged by each team as they complete them.  

I am struggling to find a way to set JIRA up for this senario.  I have worked with JIRA a lot, but one with 1 Project, 1 Team & 1 Sprint.

Any help would be gratefully received.

2 answers

0 votes
BSC November 15, 2017

I'm a bit confused with the question. It seems that each of the roles are in their own team. Most places using JIRA have multi-disciplinary teams so the people deliverying on the story are all in the same team. What you have described seems very 'waterfall' and may be why JIRA is not intuitively helping you. 

0 votes
Andreas
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2017

I would use one project with separate scrum boards for every team.

So you are able to manage individual sprint length but one issues base. Boards could represent only a certain part of the overall issue workflow. So they are "automatically" handed of from one team to the backlog of the next team. 

Haven't try that but as far as I know the mechanics of the estimation, it should be possible to ajust them for every team. Or you use custom fields for every boards estimate configuration.

Suggest an answer