One Project, Multiple teams with own sprints, stories passing through process

I would like to setup JIRA to operate across multiple teams (Product Owners (PO) / Business Analysts (BA) / Development (DEV) / QA) working on a single project.  These teams may have different sprint lengths, but will be working on the same task/story as it flows from the PO->BA->DEV->QA.

I would like these team to generally operate in a SCRUM style.  It is important that stories/tasks that are generated by the Product Owners follow through each team as they process them. 

The stories/tasks need to be estimated and logged by each team as they complete them.  

I am struggling to find a way to set JIRA up for this senario.  I have worked with JIRA a lot, but one with 1 Project, 1 Team & 1 Sprint.

Any help would be gratefully received.

2 answers

I would use one project with separate scrum boards for every team.

So you are able to manage individual sprint length but one issues base. Boards could represent only a certain part of the overall issue workflow. So they are "automatically" handed of from one team to the backlog of the next team. 

Haven't try that but as far as I know the mechanics of the estimation, it should be possible to ajust them for every team. Or you use custom fields for every boards estimate configuration.

0 votes
BSC I'm New Here Nov 15, 2017

I'm a bit confused with the question. It seems that each of the roles are in their own team. Most places using JIRA have multi-disciplinary teams so the people deliverying on the story are all in the same team. What you have described seems very 'waterfall' and may be why JIRA is not intuitively helping you. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Teodora [Botron]
Published Thursday in Marketplace Apps

Jira Inferno: The Nine Circles of Jira Administration Hell

If you spend enough time as a Jira admin - whether you are managing a single, mid-sized instance, a large enterprise one or juggling multiple instances at once - you will eventually find yourself in ...

265 views 0 12
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot