Not getting the actual time spent for certain issues in a particular sprint. Why?

Anirban Dey May 10, 2021

I have been using Jira to keep record of the time spent in particular issue in a specific sprint. image.png

After selecting the attributes and the sprint (say Sprint 2), I export my Jira report in excel form(csv) but I get to see that the time spent in particular issues have been cumulative for some issues(say, issues which were  already in Sprint 1 and continued in Sprint 2).

But I need only the report for Sprint 2 and the actual time spent on issues, and not the cumulative time spent on some issues. 

1 answer

1 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 10, 2021

JIRA does not natively provide sophisticated filtering/reporting for Work Logs. It will provide you with all the Work Log information for the selected issues.

You will need to consider a third party app if you want an automated solution. And I am not sure if there actually is an app that would provide you with what you want. Or, you might be able to use the REST API to extract the information you want.

In our JIRA Cloud instance we use

Worklogs - Time tracking and reports 

I think with that you could produce a dashboard that would give you the data you wanted, and it does include an export feature.

Anirban Dey May 10, 2021

@Trudy Claspill  Thanks a lot !

I have one last query regarding Worklogs - Time tracking and reports. In the dashboard the filters are configured with respect to the dates.

Instead of selecting the dates , should I be able to filter with respect to sprints(as sprints already hold the information when it was started and ended)  ?  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 11, 2021

This app does not extend the filtering capabilities of JIRA. You create a filter to get the issues that you want using the native JIRA filtering capabilities. The app gives you the ability to then pick out the worklogs from those issues and group the data by, for instance the issue it was logged against, the user who logged it, and/or the day it was logged.

Sprint is a selectable field for Grouping and Categorizing the worklog data in the dashboard gadget from this app, but I don't know how that actually impacts the data displayed. We use Kanban do I don't have worklog data for issues in Sprints against which I could experiment.

You can get the app for a free trial period though. You might want to install it and see what you can do with it.

Like Anirban Dey likes this
Anirban Dey May 11, 2021

@Trudy Claspill Thanks a lot!

Suggest an answer