Not able to move multiple issues between panels by drag&drop

Preben Zacho October 2, 2013

I just got a 30-days free trial accout (JIRA + AGILE) today and instantly started creating issues and boards.

When I try to move a single issue between panels on a board (fx from To Do -> In Progress), then it works fine.

But when I try to multiselect 2 or more issues and start to drag&drop them from To Do -> In Progress, it shows clearly the number of issues selected in a red circle, but I cannot drop them onto the "In progress" panel. The issues has the same type, same status and so on, they are imo identical on properties. But no matter if I select 2 or 10 issues, result is the same: It will not drop onto another panel on the board.

Is this because I have a trial version or what else can cause this?

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bharadwaj Jannu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 2, 2013
Preben Zacho October 2, 2013

Ok thanks for the info, Bharadwaj. Moving multiple issues was possible in Greenhopper and I assume the full integration of the plugin still lack some features/updates to have everything incorporated.

I read the term "It is currently not possible..." as this will be implemented in an upcoming version. So anyone knows if this is a planned feature and when to expect it?

Square1Art Admin August 18, 2017

Four years later, still doesn't work.

Arjen Breur August 20, 2018

Five years later, still doesn't work.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 20, 2018

@Arjen Breur, this works for me. Things that need to be true for this to work:

• the selected issues need to share the same workflow
  • the user performing the action needs permissions to perform the transaction

as a test try it w/ two issues. First try one at a time and ensure it succeeds then transition back one at a time then try the two together. 

Arjen Breur August 21, 2018

@Jack Brickey thanks for your swift reply and tips.

To test your suggestion, I created a new test issue (story) and put it in an active sprint. I then cloned this issue to be sure it is exactly the same type etc.
I find that I can drag both issues separately from "open" to "in progress" and back. 
When I select both issues and drag, a red badge with the number 2 in it is shown in the top right corner of the card, but no dropzones are activated in the columns. 

In the last 5 years of working with JIRA, I've never seen this work. 

My system:
* JIRA Software 7.10.0 (server)
* MacOS High Sierra (10.13.6)
* Chrome 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit)
* Firefox 61.0.2 (64-bit)

Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 21, 2018

Thanks for trying it out. The immediate difference I see is that I am on Cloud while you are on server. I will inquire with other champions on server to see if this is a server limitation.

Daniel Eads
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 21, 2018

Hi Arjen!

As Jack mentioned, this is shipped in the Cloud version of Jira Software but is not yet available for Server. There's an open feature request for this you can vote on and watch hereFor more information about how Atlassian prioritizes feature requests made on jira.atlassian.com, check out this Community post.

Cheers,
Daniel

Arjen Breur August 21, 2018

@Jack Brickey @Daniel Eads Thanks for your replies. This at least clears it up.
Must say it is strange to me that Cloud differs so much from Sever, in such _seemingly_ basic features (especially as this bug is 5 years old). We'll just keep waiting (⊙_⊙)

Suggest an answer