Not able to edit Sprint, Edit Sprint button greyed out

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Hi Guys,

Please help, not able to edit the Sprint , even after  admin permission to the project and set as board administrator. JQL query in board is very simple "project= ABC ORDER BY Rank ASC" that's it. 

Even with the query , not able to edit Sprint. When i click on 3 dots and hover over edit button get little message pop-up that "You need Manage Sprint or Start/complete sprint permission for all the project in the origin board." Why this message, i am using only one project in board query. Please help me to fix this.

Thanks,

Vikrant Yadav

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 16, 2020

Hello @Vikrant Yadav 

Another possibility is that an issue from an entirely different project has gotten assigned to the sprint in your board. You won't see that issue in your board because it doesn't match your filter.

JIRA does not limit the issues that can be assigned to sprints to only the issues in the board where the sprint was created. In the Edit Issue screen, a user can directly edit the Sprint field and assign an issue to any sprint they can see across all of JIRA.

Are you sprint names unique or generic? JIRA also does not prevent you from creating multiple sprints that have the same name. If you use "Sprint 10" in your board, somebody else can also create "Sprint 10" in their own board. With two identically named sprints, it is easy for issues to get assigned to the wrong sprint.

You can find out if there are two sprints with the same name by going to the Advanced Search screen and searching for Sprint=... and start typing in the name of the sprint. A list of matching names will display. If there is only one sprint with a matching name, you should still complete the search to show all issues assigned to the sprint. That way you can review if an issue from another project has been added to your sprint incorrectly.

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Hi @Trudy Claspill  you are absolutely right, in Sprint it's showing 25 issues only, but when i searched issues in JQL Search box :- Sprint = "Sprint Name", it shows the issue of other projects as well.  Why it's happening, not showing all the issues in Sprint. How can i get rid of the issue, without getting permission to other projects. Do i need to ask other project admins to remove my sprint from your issue ? Please suggest

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Hi @Vikrant Yadav 

In your board that uses the filter

"project= ABC ORDER BY Rank ASC"

you will not see issues in the sprint if they don't match that filter. That is why you don't see them when looking at the sprint in your board.

If you don't have permission to edit the issues in the other project that have been assigned to your sprint you will have to work with the folks who do have that access in that project to have them update the Sprint field for those issues to remove your sprint from their issues. You will also want to look into why those issues in other projects are getting assigned to your sprint and deal with that problem.

Like Vikrant Yadav likes this
Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Thanks @Trudy Claspill @John Funk  for your help and sharing important information. 

Have a nice Week!

1 vote
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Hi Vikrant,

Make sure you have Manage Sprint permissions in the Permission Scheme for that project. It is a separate permission than being an administrator. 

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

@John Funk  i am added in Administrator project role and in permission scheme under Manage Sprint "Administrator" is added.  Do i need to be added separately in Manage Sprint like single user ?  

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Is it a Project Administrator Role? Or is it just administrators? And are you both a Project Administrator and a Jira Administrator? 

Vikrant Yadav
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 16, 2020

Project Administrator role 

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 17, 2020

You will need to have Manage Sprints permission in all projects that are used for the Sprint. Does the spring span issues from multiple projects?

0 votes
Anh Nguyen March 24, 2022

Thanks for the answer.  However, I had the same problem but the solution is different.  In my case, I have only 1 scrum board and 3 sprints with different names.  1 sprint has no issue and other two sprints have 1 issue for each.  The Edit and Delete Sprint are still gray out/can't be selected even though I have full permission as project/board admin and Edit, View and Manage sprint permission.

Solution: If found there is a "message" in the board configuration at "Projects in board" prompt saying "The projects in this board cannot be listed because of the complexity of the board filter".  I update the board filter to a simple one and it works.  It displays the project name at the "Projects in board" prompt and the Edit and Delete Sprint options are available when select the ellipses (3 dots).

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
March 24, 2022

You must have Manage Sprints permission in ALL the projects encompassed by your board's filter. If your board filter doesn't explicitly constrain the projects from which it gets issues, then you have to have the permission in ALL projects for the entire Jira instance.

And by "explicitly constrain" I mean that you have to have the Project field as a criteria for each OR branch of your filter. If your filters are based only on non-project specific criteria, like Components, Assignee, Fix Version(s), then all projects will be searched for matching issues  It will not matter if it doesn't actually find matching in issues in a given project; you will still have to have the Manage Sprint permissions in every project that your filter will look at.

The message you saw is an indicator that your filter may not explicitly constrain the search to specific projects.

Suggest an answer