Nextgen Roadmap Child Issues Not Showing

Berkay Somalı September 16, 2019

Hello, 

In a nextgen project, I created epics and child issues (stories, tasks, etc.). However on the roadmap view, the expand arrow does not appear so I cannot see the child issues under epics. I can see the progress bar for the epic but no child issues. The expand arrow is shown on Atlassian documentation. Is there view setting for the child issues to show? Thanks.   

3 answers

2 accepted

3 votes
Answer accepted
Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 5, 2019

Hello everybody! 

I am happy to announce that the feature we are discussing in here has been added to the public roadmap for Jira Software Cloud and, at the moment, it is expected to be delivered before the end of 2019:

See how your issues ladder up to the big picture from the Jira roadmap - COMING IN 2019

Get a better sense of what your team is working on, at a glance, right from the roadmap. With the addition of roadmap hierarchy, you'll be able to see all the stories, tasks, and other child issues that roll up to your Epics.

See how your issues ladder up to the big picture from the Jira roadmap

Cheers,
Dario

Gabriele von Planta November 6, 2019

Great news, thank you!

Like Dario B likes this
Larry Heminger November 12, 2019

Hi @Dario B  - any update on estimated release date of this feature?  I'm waiting to switch from Classic to Nextgen project for this important capability.  Any hint you could provide would be awesome!

Dario B
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 13, 2019

Hi @Larry Heminger ,

The public roadmap says that the feature will be released in 2019. Therefore I expect it to be released before in the next 45 days or so (before 1st of January 2020).

No further details are available at the moment.

Cheers,
Dario

Nichola Tolmie January 15, 2020

Good day - do we have a date for this feature release?

Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
January 15, 2020

Hi @Nichola Tolmie

It should be available already. If the Epic has child issues, it's possible to expand and show them directly in the roadmap.

Screenshot 2020-01-15_11-29-04-737.png

Regards,
Angélica

Like Dario B likes this
0 votes
Answer accepted
Angélica Luz
Atlassian Team
September 16, 2019

Hello Berkay,

Thank you for reaching out to Atlassian Community!

This feature that we can see on the documentation to expand the Epic and show the child issues were available for customers that subscribed to the early access program for Jira Software Premium and then they decided to release this feature for everyone.

This feature will be back, but we don’t have an ETA yet.

For now, to check the child issues you need to click on the Epic and it will open on the right side:

Screenshot 2019-09-16_15-45-23-431.png

Regards,
Angélica

Gabriele von Planta September 18, 2019

Dear Angelica, please let me know when you have an ETA - I'm also missing this feature! Kind regards, Gabriele

Berkay Somalı September 18, 2019

Thank you Angelica for the response. I hope the ETA is close, because otherwise roadmaps view is pretty much useless at this point. 

Kyle Skiera September 18, 2019

Adding myself to the list as well. I'd like to learn more about the ETA for this feature returning. Thanks!

Björn Zimmermann October 17, 2019

+1 from me. The roadmap definetly needs an option to expand the child-tasks. Otherwhise it does not provite a lot of information about epics

Adding myself here also.  Is there an ETA for this yet?

Björn Zimmermann January 15, 2020

@Nichola Tolmie it is build in as far as i know since a few weeks. 

Like Dario B likes this

Thanks Bjorn - do you know if I need admin to enable this function?  Thanks very much

1 vote
Michael Glick April 27, 2020

This is great, but can you implement initiatives on top of epics? Not everything can be shoehorned at the epic-story level, and we need a way to show greater feature/initiative level progress on the roadmap.

Hierarchy:

Initiative > Epic > Story > Subtask

Max Cascone December 3, 2020

You can create as many types of items as you want but I don't think Jira will support a hard hierarchy like you suggest with non-native types. Especially in the sense of rolling them up in roadmaps, showing progress, etc.

The great PM tool Aha! did this to an extreme level, I used it as a lone wolf in my org for a few years but had to let go of because two tools = redundant work (even with integration). It's one of those tools that I wish we would migrate to but it's just not going to happen for an org that's married to Jira the way we are.

Suggest an answer