Next Gen projects in Jira allowing Releases tab?

Scott_Carter November 22, 2018

Hi all, I have recently started using Jira on my team which is an experienced Agile team. Previously I have used MS TFS so apologies if this is a daft question but my team is currently split between two projects and so thus far has used 2 Jira backlogs. 

I want to amalgamate the teams as the technologies etc they use are the same and I therefore want one product backlog. Rather than moving everything from one to the other I would prefer a fresh start. 

I created a project in Jira but I only had the option of a Next Gen project as I am not a Jira admin. However now my new project is set up I cannot find a number of things that I want which were available under the older existing projects. The most important thing I am after is the Releases tab in the left hand menu. After googling and youtubing all sorts of Jira issues the only conclusion I can come up with is that this is only available under a Classic project and not a next gen one. 

Can anyone please confirm if my assumption is correct before I delete a perfectly good project :)

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Deleted user November 22, 2018

Hi @Scott_Carter,

Versioning is not currently available in Next-Gen projects however the Atlassian team have mentioned it is coming in the future though no timeline has been given. I would suggest requesting a classic project instead of the Next-Gen project.

Hope this helps

Scott_Carter November 22, 2018

Thanks @[deleted] I figured that was the case but couldn't see anything definite on this online. Will request a classic project before I spend too much time on the next gen one. Thanks for the reply.

Deleted user November 22, 2018

Anytime @Scott_Carter,

Hope you get your project up to speed and your teams hit the ground running. 

If you are happy, please accept my answer so that others in the future are able to use the provided response.

0 votes
Lily March 19, 2019

We enabled *full support for release functionality in Next-Gen* projects in app [Swanly release timeline for Jira Cloud|https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219470/swanly-release-timeline-for-jira].
You can create release for Next-Gen project, access Releases screen and assign versions to Next-Gen issues. just like in classic projects.

There is much more features available in the app eg. Visualisation of releases on Timeline, Adding custom stages to releases, cross-project releases…
_(I'm the product owner of the app)_

[https://marketplace.atlassian.com/apps/1219470/swanly-release-timeline-for-jira]
Screenshot 2019-03-17 at 17.19.27.png

Suggest an answer