New project role to be added to all projects

Marco Boonstra May 6, 2021

i created want a group of people to be able to manage sprints (add, modify and delete sprints). They must be able to do this for all projects without having to modify each project (way to much work/projects). 

i though i create a new project role called 'manage sprints' and gave this role the correct permissions. i added the needed people to this role. 

Now i need this new role to be added, to all projects, how to do this? 

When i go to a project i can see the new role there en select it with a user, but i don't want to do this manualy. Any suggestions?

2 answers

2 votes
Sagar
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 6, 2021

Hi @Marco Boonstra By default there is not way to add the newly created project role to be get added to the existing projects, you need to use the scriptrunner to achieve this.

But if your newly created role has some default members in it, then any new project created after this will have this project role added by default after the project is created.

Capture 2021-05-06 at 23.03.21.png

Marco Boonstra May 7, 2021

Hi, 

thanks for the tip regarding 'default members' that is something i can use for new projects. 

Now for the old/running projects, @Sagar you are talking about using a scriptrunner, how does this work? What scriptrunner can i use?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 7, 2021

Scriptrunner is an app you can add to your system - go to Admin -> manage apps and you'll be able to search and add it.

One of the functions it provides is a "script console" where you can write and execute code, so you could write something in there to iterate over your projects and add people to a role.

And just to be open and clear - yes, feel free to look at this post as an advert - Scriptrunner is an Adaptavist product and I work for Adaptavist.  But it can do what Marco describes and is a good solution for this.  If you want some help getting started with scripts, there are some good starter scripts at https://library.adaptavist.com 

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2021

Go to Admin -> Project roles and add a new role.  This will immediately become available in all projects.

To add people to it, you'll need to visit each project's user admin page

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2021

For Cloud, you go to Settings > System > Project Roles

Marco Boonstra May 6, 2021

Hi, thanks for your responses. 

The problem is that i don't want to go to each project separately and add the role there. Can this be done by some sort of 'bulk change project' or something like that.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
May 6, 2021

You don't need to.  When you add a project role, it becomes available in all the projects immediately.

Do you mean you want to add users to the new role?

Micheal Planck November 29, 2023

As usual, this applies to Company-managed projects, not Team-managed projects.

As far as I can tell, for Team-managed, you have to create the new roles as part of the project under Project Settings (left-hand pane)/Access/Manage roles for each project.

I'm using these roles to get rid of the branch/commit fields in the Details box of issues (by creating roles that don't have branch/commit permission), since I'm using Jira Software to manage my non-software projects (because Jira Work Management is even worse).

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
December 6, 2023

Correct, team-managed projects are built and maintained by their teams, so you have to do everything locally, for each project.

Like John Funk likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events