New Project only visible to new Users

Heiko Schuff March 8, 2021

Hello, 

i guess this is still a huge topic for years now.. but how can i create a new project and add new users so they can only see that specific project instead of all the other ones?? 
Its a nightmare...

- created a new project

- added a new group 

- added new users to the group 

users in that group still can see all other projects. If i remove those users from "Jira-default users" they cant access anything. 

Can someone please help? 

1 answer

0 votes
John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

Hi Heiko - Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

All access to projects is controlled by the permission scheme associated with that project. So for the projects that the new user has access to but shouldn't, you will need to modify the Permission Scheme for existing project to exclude the new users. 

This document helps provide more guidance and details on managing access to projects:

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-cloud-administration/docs/manage-project-permissions/

Heiko Schuff March 8, 2021

Sorry but it doesn't really help at all. 

Scheme was created for each project individually 

As far as I understand it should work when I remove the user test user from jira users. As he is already set in a group with permissions to the project. But If I do that the user has no access at all anymore the same is happening when I remove the browse projects permission for the AUS Project then users wont be able to access the project or any other site.

The problem is apparently with the default jira-users all users (if you want or dont want) are in that group but putting the users into a group with new permissions for a new project and removing from the jira users group they wont have any access to jira at all. 

Can you maybe pls send something step by step (maybe with a new project and nmew user as example how to start from scratch ) ?

Heiko

John Funk
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 8, 2021

If you are trying to grant access and deny access with a single group of all users in Jira that is just not going to work.

You would need to add a new group - something like All Access to Jira and add users that can see everything (but not the new users). Then grant that group Browse Project permissions on all of your projects.

Then you can add the new users to a particular Project Role on the project and grant Browse Project to the Project Role so the new users could see just that project. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events