New Jira - Searching for Boards

David Stone January 24, 2018

I feel like I missed some big internal debate on the difference between a project and a board and the resulting experience has come out in "New" Jira.  I just want to find my board and move on with my day.  Hoping someone can point me in the right direction, here's what i've got:

1. My board came over to New Jira as a User board, not a Project board (apparently there are 2 different types now).

2. When I search "Projects" I can find the project it pulls from, but the board is not associated with the project.  So far, so good, the board is aligned to a user - no problem.

3. When I try to re-associate the board to the project (via board settings -> Location) my project is not an option.  Ok, wasn't expecting that.

4. Fine, I'll just search for the person that the board is associated with.  No dice.

Any idea on how to either switch the location of the board OR search for user boards?

Thanks!

David

1 answer

0 votes
Claudio Ombrella January 24, 2018

Definitions: a project is a collection of issues, each one of them belong to an issue type and  each issue type is bound to a workflow.

A board instead is like a view of the project where you create a filter to see only what you need. 

The menu project->View all projects will bring you the list of all of them.

The menu Boards->View All Boards will display the boards. Now, a project can have 0 to N boards.

The best way to create a board is to open the project or one issue of the project: then expand the left hand sash and use the arrow to select Create Board. This will allow you to configure the board for the current project, simplifying the process.

Make sure you have at least project administration permissions on the project or even better system administration.

Good luck and let us know.

Thanks, that aligns with my understanding.  My main issue is related to New Jira navigation.  New Jira suppresses boards from top-level navigation.   I believe you have to find a board by searching projects.  When attempting to do so, I run into the issues described.

Claudio Ombrella January 24, 2018

What Jira version do you run? I am on 7.3.3

Suggest an answer