Nested Projects in Jira

Nkululeko Qwabe June 17, 2021

Dear Jira Community

I am new to Jira and would like to know if there is a way to nest projects, i.e. creatig a project, and another one within that one and then having epics for each project?

For example:

Big Project

>>> Project 1

>>>>>> Epic*

>>> Project 2

>>>>>> Epic*

Thanks.

4 answers

4 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 19, 2021

> I just want to be able to view all the work in our department under one project

Nested projects would not do that, even if Jira implemented them.  Your "view of all our work" should be drawn from, well, the work, which means looking at the issues.

One example would be "search for all issues assigned to people in our department", and that's what most people would use.  If you are genuinely having a set of projects that contain all the issues for your department, that's fine, but rather than looking at assignee or stamping some other think on the issues, I would put all the projects for each department into a project category for that department and then use the search "category = <department>" to see all the issues across all those projects, as the base of your report.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 17, 2021

Hello @Nkululeko Qwabe 

Welcome to the community.

What are you trying to achieve by having a "parent" project? Fore instance, are you trying to combine output of multiple projects in a single report? 

If you tell us what you are trying to achieve we may be able to suggest a method for accomplishing it.

@Trudy Claspill, I just want to be able to view all the work in our department under one project. I found that one can create multiple boards in one project, so will try that as well. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 18, 2021

Are you using a Team Managed project or a Company Managed project?

For Team Managed projects, while additional boards can be created they will not behave the same way as the board created when the project was created.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Leo Diaz _ DEISER
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2021

Hi @Nkululeko Qwabe 

Welcome to the community! I'm Leo Díaz, Head of Products from DEISER (Solution & Marketplace partner)

You can use Projectrak to link projects (please check the column related projects in next screenshot)

Start making decisions based on essential data without leaving Jira.

Hope it helps!

Leo

Thanks @Leo Diaz _ DEISER I will try this.

0 votes
Answer accepted
Tansu Akdeniz
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2021

Hi @Nkululeko Qwabe 

Welcome to community.

Unfortunately, you can not create nested projects. But, it is possible to categorize projects in top level.

Ex:

Project Category (Customers)

-> Project A

-> Project B

Project Category (Internal)

-> Project C

-> Project D

Please check this link.

Thanks @Tansu Akdeniz I will try this.

Suggest an answer