Need to restart jira several times before it will actually start

dmcleanbkin August 24, 2017

Hello,

I'm running JIRA 7.2.1 on an Ubuntu Server VM. Every time I need to restart the VM, or even just restart JIRA I find that JIRA will not restart the first time. I need to stop and start JIRA several times before it will actually come up. Looking through the atlassian-jira.log file I find hte first error encountered with the plugins is:

2017-08-24 08:44:03,378 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.p.osgi.factory.OsgiPluginInstalledHelper] Cannot determine required plugins, cannot resolve bundle 'com.atlassian.jira.plugins.workinghours'
2017-08-24 08:44:08,151 JIRA-Bootstrap ERROR [c.a.p.osgi.factory.OsgiPlugin] Detected an error (BundleException) enabling the plugin 'com.atlassian.jira.plugins.workinghours' : Unresolved constraint in bundle com.atlassian.jira.plugins.workinghours [107]: Unable to resolve 107.0: missing requirement [107.0] osgi.wiring.package; (&(osgi.wiring.package=com.atlassian.crowd.embedded.api)(version>=5.0.0)(!(version>=7.0.0))). This error usually occurs when your plugin imports a package from another bundle with a specific version constraint and either the bundle providing that package doesn't meet those version constraints, or there is no bundle available that provides the specified package. For more details on how to fix this, see https://developer.atlassian.com/x/mQAN

I can see roughly what this means, but I have no idea how to fix it. Could someone provide guidance on this please?

Thank you.

1 answer

0 votes
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 24, 2017

Hi Duncan,

Has this always been the case or did this start after an upgrade?

See if this helps:

1. Stop JIRA
  2. Clear all contents of JIRA-HOME/plugins/.osgi-plugins
  3. Clear all contents of JIRA-HOME/plugins/.bundled-plugins
  4. Start JIRA again
  5. Verify all your add-ons are up to date.

Cheers,

Branden

dmcleanbkin August 28, 2017

Hi Braden,

Sorry for the delayed response. I've been having trouble finding a good time to experiement with shutting down again.

I had performed the steps as you suggested without luck. It still took many tries to restart. This problem has been happening for a while. I can't pin it down to a particular upgrade.

I did notice that the 'working hours' plugin was disabled, so I removed it as well. This doesn't seem to have helped much - start-up is still spotty at best. But now when I look through the logs  I see:

org.springframework.beans.factory.UnsatisfiedDependencyException: Error creating bean with name 'licenseReceiptValidator' defined in URL [bundle://168.0:0/META-INF/spring/atlassian-plugins-components.xml]: Unsatisfied depe$

If I follow that to the end of the exception I see:

Caused by: java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.google.common.collect.ImmutableSet.of([Ljava/lang/Object;)Lcom/google/common/collect/ImmutableSet;

It looks like a library may be out of date? All of my plugins are up-to-date. 

Any ideas? Thank you!

dmcleanbkin August 28, 2017

A small update:

The exact proceedure that starts the system now is:

1. Stop Jira
  2. Delete the plugin caches
  3. Start jira
  4. Wait until the start-up is complete and failed (get the fails start-up web page)
  5. Stop jira
  6. Start jira.

This appears to work every time (3 times in a row).  Any other sequence seems to fail. 

Suggest an answer