Need to remove 1 status 'Cancelled' from Epic reports counts including its tasks

Nidhi Monga September 15, 2022

I have an Epic Report where I get to see count of all the SP delivered but I want the count of SP without considering the Status-'Cancelled' for stories and their linked tasks.

I have to manually count the cancelled tasks and remove that.

Other thing is some tasks under 'cancelled' stories  are 'done'. I don't want to add their SP as well. So, I manually calculated the SP of 'done' tasks under 'cancelled' stories and subtracted  that  from the total delivered SP  and got the actual delivered number.

Is there any  option to filter out cancelled  task with their linked subtasks?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Hello @Nidhi Monga 

Welcome to the community.

Is your Epic Report a custom report that you created or a built in report provided by Jira? Can you provide more information about how you are accessing/generating that report?

I am accessing the Report->Epic Report. The board is a custom one and created by an Ex team member.

Also, while changing the board settings, I was able to remove the Cancelled tasks and stories but the issue still exists that how to remove the done tasks from cancelled stories.

Any way out to calculate the total SP of all the tasks in a particular story?

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 15, 2022

Hello @Nidhi Monga 

The Epic Report will report based on the issues included in the board. If you want to exclude some data from that report, you would have to exclude those issues by modifying the board's filter to exclude them.

When you say "tasks in a particular story" do you mean you have sub-tasks defined for the story, and have assigned Story Points to Sub-tasks? Story Points are not assigned to sub-task types of issues natively in Jira, and Jira does not natively roll up Story Points from sub-tasks to their parent Story.

To better understand what you are doing can you share an image of a "story" that includes "tasks", showing the links sections that shows the tasks are related to the story? Blur or black out any sensitive data.

Can you also provide any screen images that show the story points for a story that includes tasks and screen images for the tasks showing their story points, so we can observe the roll up and recording of task story points to stories?

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

I am not mentioning the  Sub tasks here.

Consider the below image as an example where I have a view of my Epic report, in this 1225 is a 'done' task where we utilized  '2SP'.epic report.jpg

However, this task was linked to a story which later got cancelled based on the changing client requirements.

epic.jpg

Now as the status of my task was done, so those done SP are getting included in the report.  By doing settings in board, indeed I am able to exclude the status 'Cancelled' but not the 'done' tasks which are linked to that cancelled story. 

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 16, 2022

Hello @Nidhi Monga 

Thank you for those images and additional information. That helped me understand your implementation.

Unfortunately Jira does not provide the capability to do complex searches related to linked issue. It doesn't natively have the capability to create what you need. For info on what it does support, which is not sufficient for your use case, refer to this document.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/advanced-search-reference-jql-functions/#Advancedsearchingfunctionsreference-linkedissuelinkedissue

You would need a third party app that extends searching function. Adaptavist Scriptrunner is one such app that I have used before, but there are others that you can find in the Atlassian Marketplace.

If you can't include a third party app in your instance, a work around might be to include a custom field in your Task issues called "Story Cancelled", and use an Automation Rule to set that field on linked Task issues when the related Story is Cancelled. You could then you that field in your filter to identify Tasks that should be excluded.

There is one other consideration I want to point out. The Epic Report is available on the Scrum boards. If you modify the board filter to exclude these issues, that is going to affect the other Scrum reports. You may want to take a look at that impact before deciding to make these changes permanent.

Nidhi Monga September 16, 2022

Hi @Trudy Claspill 

Thanks a-lot for such descriptive comment.

I am definitely gonna test and try method you suggested.

Furthermore, you are right about board setting suggestions, I am gonna recheck on which other reports it has an impact.

Once again thank you for helping me.😄

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events