Need to change the word "epic" in Greenhopper

Philip Colmer
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 10, 2013

In-house, we use the phrase "engineering card" instead of "epic". I've been asked if it is possible to change all occurrences of the word "epic" in Greenhopper to either "engineering card" or an appropriate shortened version of it.

For example, if you look at Screenshot 1 in https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/Editing+or+Renaming+an+Epic, what I want to be able to change is "EPICS", "Create epic" and "Create issue in epic" so that the word "epic" is something else.

This doesn't seem to be supported directly by the product so I was wondering if anyone knew where to find the appropriate files and how to edit them to change this phrasing?

Thanks.

4 answers

0 votes
Zenterio AB June 10, 2014

I will try it. But why do they 1) say it should not be edited? and 2) allow it to be edited?...

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 10, 2014

That's why you should use a staging instance.

On a staging area, I would try it out, try with a Jira update and a Jira Agile update.

But since Atlassian warns about this, I am still worried that some future update will break it.

Also, to the left in the Jira Agile view, there is the pane "EPCIS". I assume I can't change the name of that one. Without editing some jar file?

0 votes

Our company is doing iterative development, but we are not really agile as our customers do not change their minds and are not colocated with us. So we have up-front, contractually binding requirements, followed by iterative development within the company.

Also we do not like the word Epic, both since some of us have an allergy to Extreme Programming, apart from TDD, and because the word Epic confuses people. We do not use "Epics" according to the original definition of the word, i.e. "large User story that needs to be broken down further". We do not even use the term "User story" within Jira.

The whole Extreme Programming aura leads to some colleagues not realising that we have up-front requirements that need to be handled with extreme care.

But we do use the "Epics" functionality in Jira Agile. Ideally, "Epic" should be renamed to something like "Work package", with the explanatory text:

[A priotrised(?)] Collection of Work items that together add some End-to-End functionality to a project or a product. Normally of a size small enough to allow it to fit within a sprint.

So, if this isn't possible, it would be eminently useful if it were.

MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 10, 2014

It's easy to change the description of the Epic issue type at Admin, Issue Types, even though it says "Created by GreenHopper - do not edit or delete. Issue type for a big user story that needs to be broken down."

You could also try using the Translate link at the same place (in a staging JIRA first)

0 votes
Christian Czaia _Decadis AG_
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

As Faysal said, renaming the word Epic isn't a walk in the park. You've got a lot of dependencies and different language packs, code snippets. Upgrading JIRA and you'll lose all the chenges...

I'm not sure if this helps as the source of your problem is Greenhopper:

https://marketplace.atlassian.com/plugins/com.atlassian.translations.jira.inproduct

Nevertheless, I would try to convince my company to go along with the word "Epic". I've been through this and people will get used to a lot of stuff if they have to :-) Sorry that this doesn't really answer your question...

0 votes
C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013

Hi Philip,

i think this is inside the Greenhopper plugins jar file.

EPIC is an inherent part of the plugin and i bet renaming EPIC to something else will cause more than just trouble.

renaming "Create epic" to i.e. "Create engineering card" must happen inside the code itself i assume.

maybe somewhere in this area

https://docs.atlassian.com/greenhopper/6.2.4/com/pyxis/greenhopper/jira/actions/CreateIssueAction.html

C_ Faysal
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 10, 2013
grep -ri "Create epic" *
com/pyxis/greenhopper/jira/actions/BoardAction.properties:gh.epic.operations.create=Create epic
includes/js/rapid/ui/epic/EpicQuickCreate.js: * Factory to create Create Epic Form
includes/js/rapid/ui/epic/EpicView.js:    // register the create epic dialog
includes/js/rapid/ui/epic/EpicView.js:    // create epic issue
includes/js/rapid/ui/version/VersionView.js:    // register the create epic dialog

grep -ri "Create issue in epic" *
atlassian-plugin.xml:    <!-- Create Issue in Epic Header Link -->
com/pyxis/greenhopper/jira/actions/BoardAction.properties:gh.epic.create.issue=Create issue in epic
com/pyxis/greenhopper/jira/actions/BoardAction.properties:gh.epic.operations.create.issue.in.epic.title=Create issue in epic : {0}
com/pyxis/greenhopper/jira/actions/BoardAction.properties:gh.issue.panel.issues.in.epic.create.issue.in.epic=Create issue in epic
includes/js/viewissue/QuickCreateIssueInEpic.js:    // delegate click handler for create issue in epic link

that's inside the jira-greenhopper-plugin-$RELEASE.jar

Suggest an answer