Need to attach story points to a defect issue type

Dan Mabee November 27, 2011

We'd like to be able include story points in a defect issue. This does not seem to be available. We want to do story point estimation at the beginning of an iteration on known defects. However, we do not want to convert the defects to stories because we do track the defects separately.

5 answers

1 accepted

8 votes
Answer accepted
Mike Shappell January 18, 2012

Well, interestingly, you can modify the GreenHopper Scrum template (via the administration UI->Plugins->GreenHopper->Project Templates) to include story points. However, the agile configuration UI (not in administration mode, agile->tools->configuration->card styles) does not appear to contain the story points item. So even if you change the default template, the project UI does not know about it, and so it remains blank.

UPDATE: OK, I did some more experimenting and was able to find a way to enable story points for the bug issue type. You will need to go into administration->issues->custom fields. Choose to configure the story points field. Choose edit configuration and then in the "choose applicable issue types" area, add the bug issue type to the multiple selection list, which already has epic and story selected or you can just select everything and make story points available in all issue types. Select the modify button at the bottom of the page (this one does not autosave).

We are almost there. Now the field is available for the bug issue type, but we need to make it show up in the cards. You can either make this a globa (by changing the scrum template for GreenHopper) or a project level change. Follow the directions above depending on which type of change you would like to make. Hope that helps.

Mike

0 votes
Doron Gill September 15, 2013

This is close but no cigar yet. Even after taking all the actions above, indeed story points can be added to any issue type. Moreover the story points will appear in the planning board but not in the report board - how weird is that?

0 votes
Paul May 19, 2013

Actually, we're tracking points for the issue type "Task" (not to be confused with sub-task) instead of bugs. The "Story" type we use for functional requirements but there are tasks that don't necessary relate to a story that require tracking and they are substantial enough to warrant points to ensure we aren't inundated with work outside of those stories (from a planning perspective).

0 votes
YC Lian May 19, 2013

Bugs are inherently hard to estimate as compared with Stories. Ideally we shouldn't be giving points to bugs and we allocate time to fix them ASAP after they're discovered.

I know I'm not answering your question, but, can I ask why you must assign points to bugs?

Dafydd July 10, 2014

You have a valid point, but not all bugs are "inherently hard to estimate". Sometimes a bit of technical analysis can show the route that needs to be taken. If a bug is due to a technical limitation then we will try to raise a story to cover an enhancement that removes the limitation, but it's not a hard-and-fast rule. It would be great to see some guidance from Atlassian as to how they expect teams to work in JIRA Agile with bugs vs stories. Do you have any references on that subject? I found http://www.infoq.com/news/2011/01/story-points-to-bugsbut not much else.

0 votes
Paul May 19, 2013

Follow Mike's instructions in the "Update" portion, but ignore the second paragraph as the first paragraph was sufficient to do the trick with such an easy solution.

Suggest an answer