Need some advice on how to properly configure our JIRA account

Fred Maamari December 28, 2020

Hi,

We are a small software company, and we offer a subscription platform to our clients. We are currently using Asana to manage our client projects and each one of our clients has a project in Asana which allows us to manage their requests. (Implementations, new feature requests, bugs, etc..)

Here's the structure we currently have in place. 

1 client = 1 project

1 area of the project = 1 section (integration, migration, training, etc...)

1 client request (user story, bug, feature request, etc....) = 1 Task

Having about 30 clients (30 projects) + 10 internal company projects (Product, feature requests, enhancements, etc...)

What would be the best JIRA configuration that would allow us to keep each project separate while being able to have a general dashboard to monitor the deadlines.

I was thinking of the following for our JIRA structure. 

1 client = 1 project

1 request = 1 user story

1 defect = 1 bug

But I wasn't sure if we need to add Epics in the equation.

Any advice would be very helpful! 
Thanks!

1 answer

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 28, 2020

Hi @Fred Maamari , let me share some thoughts however, keep in mind that even though you have provided some good details it is difficult to provide an exact answer. Hope this helps...

• 1 project per client is fine and has some advantages but also some disadvantages. If the workflows are going to be the same and the users that are working on the clients are the same then often a single project is best.
  • The Components field for what you refer to as "area of project": integration, migration, training, etc. would work nicely. This is particularly useful if you have a lead for each area as the Components has the concept of Component Lead you can leverage.
  • You can use Issuetypes to define your Stories and Defects
  • Now whether you use one or many projects you will be able to create a single Dashboard and/or Kanban/Scrum board that combines all of the projects or pieces of each project. For example, you might want to have a board/Dashboard per client or per Area (Component). You can even have multiple views to accommodate the different audiences or focus. For example if you have a weekly Client review you might want a single dashboard for that client or you might make a Client Kanban board that has swimlanes or quick filters by client.

In any case I hope some of this is useful. Happy to help further as needed.

Fred Maamari December 29, 2020

Hi @Jack Brickey

I really appreciate your quick and detailed response! The information you shared with me is very helpful! Thank you!

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events