Need help with configurimultiple projects, a single QA view, consolidated fix versions, and roadmaps

Charlie Hill July 7, 2021

It seems Jira Roadmaps can't handle boards that have more than one project related to them (issues from multiple projects).

Currently, we have each board under a parent project, but related to team projects so that the teams don't see each other's issues. Also, this enables us to seamlessly pass issues (stories and bugs) to/from a centralized QA kanban board and the 5+ team boards/projects. I don't know of a way to do that if they were all in truly separate projects.

Additionally, we need centralized fix version management. If we change the release date for a Mobile App release that affects multiple teams, I don't want to have to make that change 5-times. 

Any suggestions in our configuration?

Example board:

jira.jpg

Thanks

1 answer

1 vote
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 22, 2021

Hi @Charlie Hill,

If Jira Roadmaps didn't work for you you can have a look at and marketplace app alternative Swanly (it's a cheaper and simpler alternative to Advanced roadmaps)

Swanly allows you to create a cross-project portfolio roadmap where you can schedule your epics, stories, and other issues that you have in your projects. So you will be able to see and plan work from multiple projects in one view.

swanly-add-issues.png

If you're interested in how this works you can check our latest community post.

About fix version management - cross-project release feature in Swanly should help with that. You can create a cross-project release in Swanly in the projects you select and also schedule them on the roadmap. That should also simplify your process and maintenance of versions.

create-cross-project-release-text.png

👉 Here is a video I recorded on this topic, or if you prefer reading the aticle.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions let me know!

Nikki

Charlie Hill July 22, 2021

@Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_ 

I tried out Swanly just now and I don't think it supports what I'm talking about. 

To be clear, I have numerous boards that have a Location of large parent project that all of my boards are under. But there is one additional Projects in Board for each board. Like this:

jira.jpg

I just tried importing that project Team A into Swanly but Swanly wasn't able to populate any of the issues.

Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 23, 2021

Hi @Charlie Hill ,

great to hear you gave Swanly a try!

After you import your projects to Swanly issues that have a Start date and Due date Jira fields filled will be drawn on the timeline.

If your issues don't have these dates filled you can find them under the "+Add issue" button and you can schedule them on the timeline.

When nothing happens after you import the project it is worth checking that Swanly is connected to the correct Jira dates fields. You can do that in the Swanly issue view > Issue Settings > Settings in the Connect Swanly to the fields section.

Here you can select and configure what fields Swanly should be working with 👇

connect-swanly-dates-to-custom-fields.png

If you want we can set up the call and have a look at how to setup Swanly to meet your current needs 👉 Here is my calendly link

Adam _SoftwarePlant_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 23, 2021

Hi @Charlie Hill 

To cover your needs you can try and use some of the apps which can be found on the Marketplace, which adds the ability to create your own WBS of your tasks as well as a timeline view- for example BigGantt (simple yet powerful Gantt chart), or BigPicture (Gantt + variety of other powerful modules like Board/Resources etc), products developed by SoftwarePlant (the company I am also a part of).

With this, you can easily create the hierarchy of your tasks from single/multiple Jira projects, and also decide how the tasks should be organized, as well as perform multiple other actions with the use of the app's modules, such as Board or Roadmap:

Gantt module.png

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Adam

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events