Need help to fix automation rule - "Story Point estimate" field

nafis June 6, 2021

Hi All,

Our teams collectively estimate on sub-tasks attached to stories (both back-end and front end tasks) and we use this to sum up the full user story value. Yes, I know that this isn't ideal SCRUM, but there's currently good flow and accuracy with this method.

I want to automate the summing of the "Story Point estimate" values of subtasks to the "Story Point estimate" value of the user story.

I found this super useful video, but it is for "Story Points" and not the "Story Point estimate" field. Unfortunately, the isn't available out of the box here, so I must use advanced options to specify rule

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beeyNIHd5sY 

How do I do this?

*This is the line of code in the video:

{{issue.subtasks.Story Points.sum}}

*This is what I tried in the "More Options" box which did not work

{{issue.subtasks.Story Point estimate.sum}}

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 7, 2021

It's not "not ideal scrum", it's not doing scrum at all - sub-tasks are irrelevant when it comes to doing scrum estimates.  If you're going to do that, then you need to think through a scheme for accumulating estimates on sub-tasks up to the parent and matching them to the story estimates. 

Jira has no support for such schemes and if you implement one of the more simple schemes (as you have described) it's going to break all your sprint reporting, velocity and so-on because it's not scrum and it's wrong.

So, two things.  To implement this scheme, you need to take a slightly different approach to adding up story points

1.  Do not add up sub-task story points to the story points on the stories.  Add them up into a new custom field called something clear like "accumulated story points".  Use that as the board estimation statistic instead of the story points.

2.   {{issue.subtasks.Story Point estimate.sum}} is wrong - the field id is Story Points estimate

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events