Mysterious Core Dump

Ian Coleman July 2, 2014

I'm trying to sell JIRA & the Agile plugin to my boss, so I've downloaded and installed JIRA on a Digital Ocean droplet with 1GB of RAM and 30 GB SSD. It's a bit slow, but usable. One problem I've run into is that it occasionally just dumps core.

catalina.out doesn't log anything problematic as far as I can tell, but if I run with jira-run.sh -df things work fine for a while, then I get unceremoniously dumped to the command prompt as follows:

2014-07-02 19:48:47,886 QuartzScheduler_Worker-2 INFO ServiceRunnerBackup Service [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Finished saving the Active Objects Backup

2014-07-02 19:50:59,294 http-bio-8080-exec-15 INFO ibcoleman 1190x46x1 oa6wha 69.250.151.33 /rest/greenhopper/1.0/welcome/createProject [atlassian.jira.workflow.OSWorkflowManager] User 'ibcoleman(ibcoleman)' updated workflow 'Agile Simplified Workflow for Project PX' at 'Wed Jul 02 19:50:59 EDT 2014'

2014-07-02 19:57:51,400 http-bio-8080-exec-7 INFO ibcoleman 1197x96x1 oa6wha 69.250.151.33 /rest/greenhopper/1.0/rapidviews/viewsData.json [jira.plugin.userformat.DefaultUserFormats] Mapping user format type 'profileLink' to the default format in module with key 'jira.user.format:profile-link-user-format'

Killed (core dumped)

I'm kind of at a loss to know where to begin to debug this. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

--Ian

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 2, 2014

> Killed (core dumped)

That pretty much says Jira is being killed from the outside by something else. If it were Jira falling over and creating a core dump, you'd have a load of other stuff going into the log, and almost certainly nothing saying "killed".

I'm afraid you need to look at what your root users and operating system are doing - it sounds like something is deciding to kill Jira for some reason.

(On the "slow" point - it's really good to put Jira's index on an SSD - that has doubled or tripled parts of the performance stats I've seen, but the memory. That's a bit low. How much are you giving to the JVM running Jira and how much are you leaving for the operating system to use?)

Suggest an answer