My subtasks can't update parent issue

Saeid Jafari March 7, 2021

Hello We have a problem that we hope to find someone to help us.
We want to use this type of workflow in Jira, but when the subtasks are done, the story cannot be finished. What should be done about it?Untitled.jpg

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2021

What do you mean by "the story cannot be finished"?  What is stopping that happening?

Thank you for responding. when the Sub tasks are done, the Story of the Sub tasks will be remained at the first step and will not be updated automatically.

Untitled.jpg

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 7, 2021

What have you set up that would do this move through the workflow on the story?

it is easy, we wanted to run a new Workflow like the pic. but it seems that we have problem with story and its subtasks. When we use the software's default workflows, the story automatically ends when the sub-tasks are completed. But this is not done when designing our own workflow.

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

If I understand you correctly you expect the story also going to status "done" as soon as the last sub-task is put to done.
This is nothing that would happen out-of-the-box and you refer to a workflow where you might have seen it. I believe, somebody inserted some logic there (or in an Automation rule) :)

In case you want to have such logic you, indeed, could do some Automation rules to get this - maybe also the easiest way to identify how it was made (as you say you have something like that already seen in your installation) would be to see for the implementation and adjust it to your workflow. Should not be very complicated.

Just a question for clarification: "when the subtasks are done, the story cannot be finished" - does this mean you receive an error message? Or does it mean that it just keep stying in "TO DO" where you'd not expect it to be?

Like Saeid Jafari likes this
Saeid Jafari March 9, 2021

Hello again.

Yes , you've found out correctly. Our Problem is that our story can not be done. There is no error message. In regular Workflow when the subtasks are done, we receive a message like that : Do you want to update this parent issue to match? . Is there any solution that can help us? by the way, the way that you said, we have tried but unfortunately we can't reach any result

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 9, 2021

From Automation library there are some very good examples which you could inspect if they suit your needs.

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/rules#/rule/140671

From the description "Auto close parent issue when all sub-tasks are done (sync)" it could be what you are after.

Saeid Jafari March 10, 2021

Thank you very much,

So far you have helped us a lot. we only have one more request. we don't have access to Automation for Jira (Because we live in Iran, we aren't able to buy the software online) and we are using Automation Lite for Jira. Is there any free solution that we can use it?

Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 10, 2021

That's a good question, I cannot say for sure - from what I read from Community many uses Automation and I am not aware of the specifications of Apps available to you.
Automation Lite is free but not all features are included.

Suggest an answer