My mail handler is not adding the email's body as the new issue's description

Mya.Hauck February 22, 2021

I just created a new mail handler with the type "Create a new issue from each email message". The mail handler successfully creates a new issue that uses the email's subject line as the issue's summary, but it fails to add the email's body as the issue's description. The description is blank every time. From my understanding, this is supposed to be default functionality.

Is there an extra step that I need to take to include the body as the issue's description?

3 answers

0 votes
Vikram Vangapally December 22, 2021

Is this issue resolved, I am experiencing the same issue. Also I don't see an option to switch to Old view, please help

Mya.Hauck December 23, 2021

Hi @Vikram Vangapally

I did not have the Description field on the correct screen.

0 votes
Daniel Ebers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 27, 2021

I remember this came up every now and then by several users during the last weeks.

Could you please for a short test switch back to old issue view using this guide?
https://support.atlassian.com/jira-core-cloud/docs/temporarily-click-through-to-the-old-issue-view/

Could you please confirm the mail content is then displayed in description?

If this is true and I am offline later - here already to summarize what was said:
1.) this could be due to the format the mail client sends mails, however Outlook is pretty a standard so it should not match
2.) it could be a bug with new issue view - then a support request with Atlassian to double check could make sense

- or -

if it also not appears in old issue view it would need some further inspection.

0 votes
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 22, 2021

i have not experienced this happening. I assume you have done a basic test just sending in an email manually? What email client are you sending from? Is the From address an existing user in your Jira instance?

Mya.Hauck February 22, 2021

We use Outlook. The catch email is not an existing user, but I have set

"Create Users: false

Default Reporter: admin.jira"

We have another mail handler with all of the same settings, besides for issue type and catch email, that works perfectly.

Yes. Like I said, we can send in an email and an issue does get created with the correct summary, but the email's body is being excluded.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
PREMIUM
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events