Mutli-team, multi-quarter estimation?

Matt April 27, 2019

Hi,

Reasonably experienced JIRA user here, with a fairly complex requirement that I'm not sure is possible..

Some background... We have 7 teams that deliver probably around 100 projects a year.  Some are tiny projects that only impact 1 team and take them a couple of sprints, others are projects that span multiple quarters, and touch all 7 teams.  Currently estimates are being tracked in a google sheet.  This upsets me for many reasons.  

I have the opportunity to move this into JIRA, but I'm struggling to find a way to do this that doesn't involve 28 custom fields per year (i.e. 7 teams x 4 quarters).

I've attached a theoretical example of a complex project.  This project has an arbitrary estimate of "21" when added up across multiple quarters and all 7 teams.  We'd then have a few dozen other projects that would have similar estimates, as suggested above.  

JIRA Example.JPG

I can a number of custom fields:

- Back End Q1 2019

- Back End Q2 2019

- Back End Q3 2019

- Back End Q4 2019

- Data Team A Q1 2019

- Data Team A Q2 2019

- Data Team A Q3 2019

- Data Team A Q4 2019

- Data Team B Q1 2019

- Data Team B Q2 2019

- Data Team B Q3 2019

- Data Team B Q4 2019

.... etc.

But eugh, horrible... and something that requires addition of new fields over time.  

Anyone know of any way to do this, in a way that doesn't require multiple custom fields?  Preferably without plugins...

I've tried using the multi-select list, but that won't work, as it only lets me select 2 of the 3 values (i.e. the team, and the quarter, but not the estimate OR the quarter and the estimate, but not the team).  

Perhaps I've missed something obvious.  Please share thoughts if you have them!  

1 answer

0 votes
Brant Schroeder
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
April 28, 2019

Would labels work for you.  You can apply labels to issues and they can be used on all projects.  You can apply multiple labels to a single issue.  The labels can the be reported off of. 

Matt April 29, 2019

Unfortunately labels won’t work for a few reasons, that weren’t clear from my original message:

1. I want to make the options super clear for those inputting the estimates and easily searchable. 

2. We have the sum up plugin, so I want the field to be numerical so that it can easily be added up and displayed in a search or dashboard. Ultimately sounds like it probably isn’t possible...

Suggest an answer