Multiple teams in non-exclusive projects

Casper Roubos October 9, 2012

Hi,

Perhaps my question is somewhat already answered in other questions earlier, however I feel that my question is a spin-off of them.

In our company we work with six teams (three in SCRUM. three in KANBAN) and the three SCRUM teams are getting the stories out of five projects. (A project is a product) E.g. Project A, B, C, D and E.

The three teams all have their own Rapid Board and there own sprints. All three teams must pick up one story per sprint of project A. Project C is exclusieve for team 3.

So,

• Team 1 has a rapid board "project in (E)",
  • Team 2 has a rapid board "project in (A,B,D)"
  • Team 3 has a rapid board "project in (A,C)"

Unfortunatly it is not possible to make a mutually exclusive rapid board filter, since both teams should be able to select every available story.

Now we have a problem, because when team 2 has started a sprint, team 3 cannot start a sprint, because the sprint of team 2 is "visible": there is already a sprint started. Team 2 has still one story of project 'A' in progress.

The question:

Is it possible to have multiple rapid boards (teams) working in the same projects (product backlog) when there do *not* have a mutually exclusive filters?

Thanks in advance

P.S. If you answer, please keep in mind that I am a simple PO, that has learned to handle Jira 'on-the-job'.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
John Garcia
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 9, 2012

The new GreenHopper 6.0.4 introduces this very feature in Labs. Enable Parallel Sprints as described here:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/GH/GreenHopper+Labs

0 votes
sclowes
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2012

Hi Casper,

It looks like Team 1 are completely independent (they are the only ones in project E) so they can just have their own.

For Teams 2 and 3 I'd recommend a similar approach to the one described in a different answers post:

• Have a separate board for Team2 and Team3, use JQL like "project in (A,B,D) and ( (sprint = empty or sprint not in openSprints() ) or (component = empty or component in (Team2) ) )" for Team2 and"project in (A,B,D) and ( (sprint = empty or sprint not in openSprints() ) or (component = empty or component in (Team3) ) )" for Team3. These boards will show all of the backlog but they will not show anything on work mode that does not have a component of Team2 or Team3 respectively
  • During planning, as you pick issues for Team2 or Team3 edit them to add the Component of Team2 or Team3
  • Define a quickfilter on each board with something like "component = Team2" so you can apply the filter and check you've applied the component before you start the sprint
  • When you start the sprint all of the issues should appear on work mode unless you didn't apply the component to the issues
  • The issues included by one team will not appear in the other teams board

Thanks,
Shaun

Casper Roubos October 16, 2012

Hi Shaun,

Thanks for your answer, however I feel that 'using' a component or label is not really that better than making a new JIRA-project for the team and then moving or cloning the issue to that team. The whole idea is that the teams are hovering above the projects (products) and not a 'part' of a backlog. Enabling multiple sprints is in mine point of view the best option.

The most ideal option for me would be that a rapid board is a object in jira, rather a selection of queries, in other words a team is a rapid board. In this case an other rapid board (or a issue in a rapid board) is not visible/not selectable. I was under the impression that that was the intended use of a rapid board. Perhaps in the future.

Thanks again to you and John for the help.

Suggest an answer