Multiple projects or multiple boards/components in Jira?

zzphqazz January 15, 2022

I am about to set up a new Jira environment and I am a bit confused about the difference between different setups.

My case is that I have one team which utilizes scrum and work on multiple products. Each product has its own client (stakeholder). I would like to have one board for the entire team but also the possibility to have some users (the stakeholders) to only show their related product. One client should not be able to show stories related to other clients.

I have found two different solutions, which one is preferred? Is there another one out there?

Solution 1: Set up one project for each product. After that, add one additional project that is using a filter on its board to show all other project items at once.

Solution 2: Have one single project and utilize the components within that to have one component for each product. Set up multiple boards within this project that filter issues for one component each. Add one master board which show everything at once as well.

Is it possible to restrict a client to show only one product in both solutions?

Is it possible to force all products to use a single sprint? Can all but one projects or boards deactivate the feature of creating sprints for instance? The purpose would be to make sure that a new sprint is only created from the master project. Otherwise I think that reports might get weird.

Is there any obvious drawback in any of the solutions? Like limitation in generating reports or something like that.

2 answers

0 votes
Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 15, 2022

Hi @zzphqazz 

To restrict access to project it will be much convenient to use the Browse Project permission instead of Issue Security Scheme that works on individual issue.

Boards give you lot of flexibility to view and manage issue from one or multiple projects.

So I also think using multiple projects makes sense in your case.

I hope it helps.

Ravi

0 votes
Pramodh M
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 15, 2022

Hi @zzphqazz 

Welcome to the Community!!

In case one client need not see the issues of other clients in the same project, you need to use Issue Security Levels

Better use each project for each product!!

If you have more number of products, group the product by categories or by the client, and you can plan for multiple sprints in the same project

Let me know if you have any queries

Thanks,
Pramodh

Suggest an answer